Chapter Fourteen

As we were driving down the road, it started to rain. Although, it was raining really hard. I couldn't see what was in front of me, even with the windshield wipers on.

Kim grabbed me by the hand, and she gently massaged it. It was more relaxing with her here, comforting me over the raging storm.

I made it to the front of her house, even with the raging storm overhead. I got out of the car and opened her door, and we ran to her door.

While I waited for Nyx to answer the door, I got a look of Kim. She looked just as pretty as she was at the beginning of the night, even with her makeup drenched all over her face.

"You know, you look amazing drenched in rain. I think that's a good thing to say, right?" I said.

She looked down, embarrassed and let out a laugh.

Her brother finally showed up and was drenched in sweat. I could hear the TV blasting some type of home workout video. That's probably how he's gotten most of his muscles over this school year.

"Man, finally you guys showed up. Come in and Noah, give your dad a call and tell him you'll have to stay here until the storm passes." he said while smiling.

Kim and I looked at each other. We've basically spent the whole night with each other, and she seemed really excited for me to stay at her house until the storm passed. I was excited too because I haven't really been to her house before and I was eager to spend more time with her.

I walked in and wiped my feet on the mat by the front door. Kim's house was a very nice house. They had a second floor, which is my favorite part of a two-story house, mostly because I could do stupid things from that story. For example, putting a mattress at the bottom and jumping onto it. The adrenaline is quite fun from that type of fall. Their kitchen was even beautiful to look at. It had granite countertops and tiled wooden floors.

After I was admiring her house, she took me by the hand, and we started to walk upstairs and Nyx looked at me and gave me a wink. I shuddered that he even would have that kind of idea.

Her room was at the far end of the hallway. The hallway was decorated with pictures from her childhood. I didn't see any with her parents, apart from one. She was from Tokyo, which is something she never told me. I found it strange she only had one picture with her whole family.

We walked in her room. Her room had a very pretty vibe to it. It was strung with flowers over her ceiling, and she had LED lights strung everywhere. Her closet was full of clothes, clothes that I know she would look good in. It was full of baggy jeans and baggy shirts and tank tops. I don't know why she wore sweatpants and hoodies all the time when she had all of these clothes.

She grabbed my hand and took me to her bed. She pulled something out of her bag. She had a photo album of everything that happened in her life. It was from her being born to now. It was quite adorable to see.

I noticed that after a certain page, she stopped smiling in pictures and that's how it was for every other picture in the book.

"Hey, you stop smiling in all of these other pictures after this page. Did something happen?" I asked her.

She stopped smiling and closed the book. She put the book down and went to grab her journal. I was a little confused and even worried, but I kept a confident posture and look. Kim sat back down and started writing.

I was going to tell you sooner, but I might as well tell you now. When I was little, my parents left with the neighbors to go to the pool. They left me with Nyx. Once they left, they forgot to lock the front door. Nyx told me that a neighbor had preyed on me for a while. He opened the front door, and I didn't think much of it. I honestly thought it was my parents that came home very early. He snuck up behind me and did something to me. He kept me quiet. Nyx didn't do anything because he couldn't hear what was happening, and I don't plan to ever blame him. When he was at dinner with my parents, he told them what happened. They started laughing and when they got home, it was even worse. They kept embarrassing me and putting me down and never comforting me. He doesn't know I know that last part. 

She stopped writing and wiped some tears. I didn't know what to do. I sat there and just stared at the notebook, waiting for her to write again.

Once my family moved to America, we went to Kansas. Once my brother had his license, he grabbed me one night and with all the money he had saved from work, he bought us tickets to Silverleaf. I haven't seen my parents since and I hope it stays that way. My brother has continued to support me and I'm so glad I have him around.

She stopped writing and put her notebook on the floor. I gave her a hug and I heard her silently sobbing into my arms. I didn't care if she was getting snot or tears on my suit. I wanted her to know that she was okay. She was okay with me, and I wouldn't look at her any differently.

I backed out of the hug and gave her a kiss. I was tired of her always getting me with those, but I also wanted her to know that it was okay, that I still liked her for who she was.

I heard the rain stop and Nyx knocked on the door.

"Hey, sorry to barge in, but the storm is calming down now. Whenever you're ready to leave, just let me know." he said.

I wasn't ready to talk. I was afraid if I did, I'd break down in front of both of them. I silently nodded and he closed the door. Kim grabbed her notebook.

You can go. I'll be okay. Message me when you get home, Noah.

I gave her one more hug and quietly rubbed her back. I got up and walked to her door. I blew her a kiss from the door, and she pretended to grab and stuff it in an imaginary bag.

Before I walked out, I gave a look to Nyx. "Thank you for letting me stay", I said while choking on tears, "I really appreciate it."

He came over and shook my hand. "It was nice officially meeting you, Noah. I hope I see you around here again real soon." he added.

I let go of his hand and walked out the door and to my car. I didn't immediately leave. I stared at my steering wheel and silently cried to myself. I couldn't believe what I had heard. That's why Kim could never speak. All of the bullying me and my group did to her, I hated myself for it now. I didn't know any of this. I wanted to go back in time and tell myself to not bully her and get to know her instead, like I should've done from the start.

I started my car and drove home, absolutely ashamed in my past self and my actions.