Chapter Two

It was pitch black in my room. My alarm rang for 5:30. I had a weird dream last night. I was with that freak, Kim, and we were driving and laughing. I don't know what we were laughing about but we were laughing. I hated that I had a dream with her, but something about her laugh made my morning mood just a little bit better.

Once I stretched, I went downstairs to make breakfast. My father was already downstairs getting ready for work. I got a bowl and started making myself some oatmeal.

I finished eating my breakfast and got in my car and drove to James's house. That little freshman on a varsity football team continues to surprise me every day when we have a game. He's really fast and nimble which is something we definitely needed. As I pulled up to James' house, he was already waiting outside.

Why is this kid always outside when I pick him up? Does he stay out there for that long? I thought to myself.

As I had just woken up and was dreading going to Mrs. Baptiza's class to partner with Kim and having that dream, I was not in the happiest of moods to talk to anyone. I stopped the car in front of his driveway.

"Hey, James. I'd appreciate it if you'd stay quiet. I'm not in the mood for anything right now." I said while he got in the passenger seat.

"Is everything okay, Noah? Is it about the bet? Something else maybe?" James asked, giving me a concerned look.

I gave him a look and just started driving. The awkward silence in the car was probably something that was good for both of us.

We finally showed up to Silverleaf High after what felt like an eternity of driving.

Well, even though I have the worst class first thing in the morning, at least I can hang with my friends for a bit. I thought to myself.

"Alright, make sure you got everything, and we'll meet up with the rest of the group." I told James.

As James started to get out of the car, someone knocked on my window. It was Kim's brother, Nyx. I've never been more scared before. Nyx is a 160-pound muscular and tall teenager, and it looks like he never sleeps. Sometimes I actually get the vibe he's not actually a high schooler.

"Roll down the window." Nyx said in a stern tone.

That's all it took for me to give in to his command.

Trying to remain calm, I asked him, "Need something?"

He gave me a murderous stare after I asked that question like I just offended him.

I tried to continue the conversation.

"You aren't the talkative type, are you? No wonder why you and Kim are siblings." I said.

I must've blown a fuse on him or something because the next thing he did was grab me and said, "If you go near or talk or hurt my sister again, I will snap you right in half in the middle of this shitty school, understand?"

I've never felt more fear and adrenaline surging through my body than ever before.

"Alright, alright. I won't go near her again!" I quickly said.

Nyx then let go of me and walked away, back to wherever he was going. I think James was equally as terrified as me. We didn't say anything and got out of the car and went to our group. Garrett was the first to notice our looks of terror walking up to everyone.

"You two, okay? You look like you've been possessed or some shit." Garrett asked, chuckling.

"Oh yea, we actually almost got into an accident on the way here", James said while chuckling, "It was crazy."