Chapter Three

I hate those kids at Silverleaf. Those football boys too. Everyone constantly harasses my sister. I honestly just don't understand them. It's like once middle schoolers enter high school, they just throw any sense of kindness out of the window and treat people, like Kim, like shit and mess around with her.

Those days have never stopped replaying in my head. She was just so young, and her smile always made me smile, no matter the situation. She still has that smile but it doesn't have that effect on me anymore and it breaks me down every day and night. How she looked at me in fear when I found her in the bathroom, holding a blade. I wish just one of them would treat her with kindness but no matter what, they always hurt her. I just hope they don't notice the scars on her wrist, let alone if she's doing that again.

Maybe I could be a little bit nicer to Noah about it. He seemed a little worried in his eyes when I reacted to him like that this morning, and he doesn't know what happened. Maybe my feelings are just conflicted again with these boys, but I think I'm going to give Noah a chance. Even though my gut is telling me not to, I think he's what she needs and she's what he needs. I just hope he doesn't mess it up, let alone mess her up.