"She doesn't look dangerous" Matt pouted.

 From afar, the new girl didn't look harmful. She simply looked poor and unhealthy but far from dangerous. It was obvious she was not form here. Her clothes were too big and had holes in them. Her hair was in a messy bun which added to her lack of cleanness.

Bang.

Near her, there was a group of boys surrounding a Goth looking guy. The leader of the group pushed the guy into the locker and he fell to the ground while they all laughed.

"Ken is doing it again" Carly said with disgust. Ken was the only bully in school but due to his father's power and influence he was near impossible to touch. He and his group of friends loved to make life a living hell to anyone who bothered them and especially the Goth boy.

"So soon?" Hana asked. "I've got it" she grumbled. Hana was the only person in school to make Ken stop the bullying because of her social status. She was nicknamed 'Butterfly' because she was involved in every club, she talked to everybody and everyone knew her. Ken was not stupid; he knew not to touch her because the entire school would be against him.

Hana didn't have to make two steps until she was frozen in shock by what came next.

Sarah was still looking down at her paper when she accidently bumped into Ken causing the big guy to stumble forward and closer to his victim although the stumble looked deliberate. With the impact, Sarah's bag fell to the floor. The entire hallway was silent. Everyone knew what was going to happen next and they pitied the new girl.

"Oh shit, I'm sorry" Sarah said non-apologetically. Ken clenched his hand and without looking at his opponent he swung his fist. Only one person would dare to challenge him physically and he was in a bad mood today. With natural and composed movements, Sarah bent down to pick her bag oblivious to the attack. Ken's fist missed her head and crashed into the locker behind her. Ken grunted in pain and huddled his hand.

Sarah came up with not a care in the world, shouldered her bag and walked away. She stopped before the Goth boy and stared at him.

"Move" she said coldly. The boy scrambled from his feet and moved away. He looked at his savior in awe as she continued walking down the hall. Ken was about to follow when a teacher saw him and started to talk to him.

"Never mind what I said" Matt whistled "Your foster sister is dan-gerrrr-ous"

"Like I said Matt" Carly repeated "She's off limits. For all our sakes"  

-

 School had not even started yet and Sarah was ready to leave. She sat in the back and took out her sketching pad. Drawing was something Sarah loved to do. It was relaxing and it gave her a way out of reality. Unfortunately, most of the things she drew were dark and despicable just like her soul. She had no idea how to draw suns and rainbows if it did not have a darker meaning to it.

Sarah ignored the students coming in the classroom but she looked up when she saw a bag drop from the corner of her eye. The Goth boy who she saw in the hallway sat silently beside her without looking at her. Shrugging, Sarah went back to her drawing until the bell rang.

As the first day went by, Sarah was anxious because, even though she never looked for it, she never finished a day at school without getting into some trouble. Her day was going well considering she was the center of attention. Some students tried to talk to her but Sarah politely sent them away. Rumors were starting to appear about her and Sunny.

During lunch time, Sarah looked for Sunny in the cafeteria and was relieved to see her with other students her age. The Asian girl looked so happy simply to be surrounded by so many kids her age. Sarah made her way to her adopted sister to make sure everything was going well for her. Once she arrived at the table, all the kids looked up and stopped talking.

"Onee-san" Sunny grinned. Sarah squeezed her shoulder in greetings.

"Hey there Sunny, how's your day so far?" she asked her.

"It's going great. I met all these cool kids" she said pointing at the students sitting at her table which some of them waved awkwardly "want to join us for lunch?"

Sarah shook her head and smiled. The students around her were staring at her in curiosity and a little bit of fear. "Have fun with your new friends. I'll see you tonight"

Sunny didn't look certain about leaving her older sister but she knew Sarah well and right now the older girl wanted to be alone. With one last smile, she watched her sister walk away to an empty seat in the corner.

"Who was that?" one of the girls at Sunny's table asked

"That's my foster sister. She is a little scary but she's great once you get to know her" Sunny beamed happily.

"I bet" another boy said. He shrugged his shoulders when Sunny glared at him and gave her a cheeky smile.

                On the other side of the cafeteria, Sarah was greeted by Nim the Goth boy and once again, they didn't say anything to each other. Nim opened his lunch box and started eating in peace while Sarah watched him. They continued this comfortable silence until the bell rang and went their separate ways.

Sarah had almost made it to the last bell but unfortunately, luck was not on her side. She was sitting at a desk looking out the window during her last class of the day with ten minutes to go. Math was never her forte because she was never taught properly and calculations didn't come easy to her unlike Sunny.

"Is my class boring you Miss. Green?" the teacher asked catching her attention.

"Yes sir" Sarah replied and looked back out of the window. Snickers followed the comment throughout the classroom. The teacher, on the other hand, did not find the remark funny.

"Come see me after class Mss. Green" M. Thorne said crudely. Sarah's head snapped up and stared at him in disbelief.

"What? Why?"

"Because you believe my course is unworthy of your attention and I will not allow such behavior here and your insults"

"First of all I answered your question in all honesty. You can't punish me for saying the truth" Sarah replied

 "Your honesty is insulting to your superior"

"The truth is the truth whether you like it or not. Is it not the whole point of school is to teach the students to talk honestly? Would you have preferred I lied? Wouldn't that contradict the purpose of school ethics?" Sarah didn't leave the teacher a chance to speak.

  "Secondly, I do not think your class is unworthy. In fact I would love to understand what you're talking about. It's not my fault you're not explaining correctly."

Gasps and snickers could be heard around the class room. Everyone was listening intently at their argument and nobody dared to interfere. M. Thorne looked beyond angry at this point but he stayed behind his desk.

"Are you telling me I cannot do my job Mss. Green. Let me remind you that this is my class and as a student you are obligated to listen and learn and not to contradict the teacher for-

"Let me cut you off right there sir" Sarah said in an angry but soft voice "It is the teacher's job to make sure the students understand the subject. Now, obviously you like math since you're here and I hate it therefore, it is your job to prove me wrong and show me what's so great about numbers. Your job is to teach the students so that they want to listen and to continue learning about this subject that you love so much"

"I will not tolerate such insults in my class from someone who is unwilling to learn" Mr. Thorne's voice amplified as he spoke.

"There is a fine distinction between unwilling and incapable sir, know the difference"

"ENOUGH" the teacher yelled as he banged his hands on the table. "You are to leave my classroom and go directly to the principal's office. You have detention after school"

The classroom was silent as the shocked students stared at each of them while not really knowing what to do. Sarah angrily got up and picked her bag.

"This is abusing your authority" she spat at the teacher when she walked out. Now she remembered why she hated school and mostly why she hated adults.

And that was how Sarah got detention on her first day of school.