"Hmm. Did you?"

"Was there something you wanted to say?"

"If I'd wanted to say something, I would have. Good night, Diana."

As I closed my eyes, I couldn't shake the feeling my sister was still hiding something from me. Hopefully, now that we seemed to be back in accord with each other, it wouldn't be long before she told me.

****

Just because we were speaking to each other again did not mean I had any desire to sit and listen to Sarah chatter with her friend. So when Sarah invited me to walk with her to the Sandwood's, I politely declined.

Unless I was mistaken, I was reasonably sure she intended to tell Miss Sandwood how their assumption about Mr. Richfield was utterly wrong.

Instead, I set out on a walk with Will. We hadn't had a chance to spend much time together since I had returned. He and I were the most alike out of all of us siblings, so I was glad to have a chance to be with him.

"Are you looking forward to James coming back?" I asked, referring to our older brother.

"Yes," was all Will said, his eyes scanning the countryside.

I had a good idea why he'd agreed to walk with me. He had taken the lead immediately, and that could only mean one thing. "We're going to where the highwayman robbed the Knightons, aren't we?"

"Yes." That was all he said for a moment, and then he scrutinized at me with a wide grin appearing on his face. "Are you scared?"

"Scared? Hardly. We're going in broad daylight. It's something that happened two days ago. There's no way we're going to be in any danger."

Will shrugged. "It's still going to be exciting though, right?"

His enthusiasm was contagious. "Right," I said, smiling back at him. I was so glad I'd worn one of my oldest gowns and my sturdiest boots for this walk. "Do you think you'll find some clue everyone else missed?"

"Maybe."

I laughed at that. We spent the rest of the cross country walk to the woods teasing each other. At one point, we were even shoving each other. It was harder for me now Will had gone through a growth spurt and towered over me. I realized then I had to look up at him.

"When did you get so tall?"

"I've been this tall for a while." He grabbed my arm and pointed ahead of us. "Look! We're here!"

Letting me go, Will ran ahead, and I walked after him at a much slower pace. This particular stretch of the road appeared exactly like the rest. I remembered playing Robin Hood in this area with Sarah and my brothers not too many years earlier.

"So, do you see anything?" I asked, going over to where Will was kneeling down, staring at the ground. "Some great sign everyone else missed?"

I'd never seen him look so disappointed. "No," he said, standing up. "There's been too many people walking and riding through here." He brightened a split second later. "But maybe if we look at the trees we'll find something."

He darted off to check his new theory. Deciding to let him have his fun, I wandered along the roadside, picking some of the wildflowers that were blooming. We both spent our time occupied in this way for several minutes before I heard the unmistakable sound of hoofbeats.

"Will, someone is coming." When I didn't get an answer, I groaned. I didn't want to be found alone, so I set off after my brother. "Will, answer me! I am serious, Will. Answer me right now, or I promise I'm going to go straight home and tell Mother!"