11. Mystery man marry me

Start from the beginning

We soon arrive to the club she told me about earlier. The empire 6 or 7. I can't remember.

I stand at the end of the long queue, but before I have time to register what's happening. We're stood in front of the security guard. Nadine mumbles something into his ear, he then opens the door which earns us some glares and moans from the people behind us. Nadine drags me in, pushing past all the sweaty bodies.

"Drinks or dancing first?" Nadine asks me, dragging me to nowhere in particular.

"Drinks!" I yell at her, hoping she hears me over the music. "I have to be drunk to work up the forage to go on the dance floor!" I shout again.

She nods, so I guess she did here.

We end up at the bar, taking a seat on the bar stool.

The bartender looks at Nadine, looks away, then looks at her again and immediately comes over to us. "What can I get ya ladies?"

"I'll take a martini, T?" She turns to me.

"Uh, make that two, please."

He nods then turns around, going to make our drinks or serve all the other people, I don't know.

"So what the deal with everyone looking at you with wide eyes?"

She laughs, shaking her head but kind of looking a little embarrassed. "I guess Bennu is sort of... well known?"

"He is or he isn't? You don't sound too sure."

"He is. Well known. Quite a lot actually. Plus, he kind of owns this place."

I almost fall out of my seat. "Owns? The fuck."

She scratches her neck awkwardly, "yeah."

All the surprise has left my face and I'm now looking concerned. "What's up?"

Nadine sighs, "it's stupid..."

I nod my head forward, signalling for her to carry on.

"I just, I don't want you to feel embarrassed. Or see me as a stuck up bitch who lets her husband own her. That's why I'm still embarrassed about the whole university thing. I should've told him why I actually left, because now I'm worrying about him thinking I'm using him for his money. But I've left it too long, so I don't win either way."

I take her hand in mine, "Nadine, I thought you'd be embarrassed of me. I mean just look at where I live. Or used to. Or... I don't know I don't really have a home, more so a house i live in. But that's besides the point. Ben won't be mad at you for lying, he'll understand if you explain. And plus, fuck whoever thinks you a gold digger. And you own him just as much as he owns you. Your feelings aren't invalid because he's the one bringing in the main income."

She nods repeatedly, looking as though she's trying to make herself believe my words.

The barman slides two martinis our way. We both thank him. Nadine takes a sip but I leave mine on the counter. "Fuck emotions for the night. YOU ARE GETTING MARRIED TOMORROW, GIRL!"

She smiles at that, "fuck, I'm getting married."

"YEAH YOU ARE, TONIGHT YOU'RE GONNA ENJOY YOUR KAST NIGHT OF BEING AN UNMARRIED WOMAN. AND IM GONNA HELP YOU OUT."

She laughs, "fuck yeah!"

We end up ordering god knows how many shots.

I take a shot for the fun of it.
I take a shot to get some courage so I can dance.
I take a shock to forget about my temporary foster parents.
I take a shot to erase all my stupid, messed up memories for a night.
I take a shot to forget I'm basically homeless.
I take a shot because there's no one here to stop me.
I take a shot because no one has ever been here to tell me it's wrong.