Chapter 40: Healing and Fighting

Start from the beginning

"Which one of you is talking?" Hitoshi asked, his gaze unfocused in Recovery Girl's general direction.

"I'll use my quirk now," Recovery Girl said and leaned down to kiss Hitoshi's forehead.

The way she used her quirk was unique to say the least and could get awkward depending on situation, but the quirk itself... Izuku licked his lips. After a few moments she stood up straight.

"You should be okay in terms of purely physical injuries."

"At least it doesn't hurt to talk anymore, just a bit sore."

"Yes, bones are easy to treat."

"Have I ever said how amazing your quirk is?" Izuku said.

"No but thank you," Recovery Girld said. "Also no, it is not for sale. I may be old, but I'm not planning to retire yet."

"So, you watched my speech."

"Of course I did. I only started getting patients after the first competition started."

She held open Hitoshi's eye while shining a light on it.

"There's a bucket on that side of the bed in case he starts vomiting again," she told Izuku before getting up and facing Hitoshi. "I'll get you something to drink, but for now you should rest. Avoid any strain or stress."

She walked to an adjacent room flipping the light switch on the way. All lights in the room turned off leaving them in the dim light coming through the doorway. Hitoshi sighed. Izuku pulled a chair to sit next to him.

"So... I broke your chin."

"Izuku," Hitoshi whispered, "lean closer.

Izuku did as he was asked. Hitoshi's arm rose and swung in the general direction of Izuku's head. He could have dodged the sloppy move rather easily. He didn't and got slapped to the cheek. Hitoshi closed his eyes, shifting for a more comfortable position.

"I knew how you would feel about that. That's why I didn't say anything."

"but..."

"No buts. It's a dangerous career path we are on. If I couldn't take the risk and injuries of a competition, what chance would I have to be a hero? You aren't helping me survive by keeping kids gloves on in the wrong places. It hurt but I'm glad you could take them off, at least for a bit."

Izuku looked at the floor uncertain if he should argue against Hitoshi or feel ashamed. Hitoshi cleared his throat then gagged. Izuku raised his head then found the bucket under the bedside table to hold it in front of Hitoshi. He gagged for a moment though this time there was just a little spit.

"I don't think Recovery Girl's quirk worked that well."

"It's your head," Izuku said. "It' she didn't want me to be alone after the battle training against Bakugo."

Izuku tried to cover some of his fear but couldn't help but imagine worst case scenarios. His relationship with injury might have been twisted since he received the regeneration quirk, but brain injury was nothing to dismiss.

"At least you didn't blow up the arena. Unless you have a better healing quirk than Recovery Girl you probably shouldn't worry about it."

Izuku barely managed to not expose himself as Hitoshi came close to the truth. At least he though he hid his reaction.

"You don't have one right?"

How was Hitoshi so perceptive right after complaining about the room spinning?

"No," Izuku responded quickly, "unless... yours."

"You'll have to explain a little more. "

"Well, your symptoms might be because... I punched you in the face."