Vikram and Abhimanyu

Start from the beginning

Absolute honour, integrity and nobility were an indissoluble part of his character , and he displayed righteousness and valour far more intensely than any royal - old or young - Man Singh had ever known.

Abhimanyu sensed Man Singh's admiring gaze and turned to look at him. " Anything you wish to add, old man?" He asked, indulgently.

Man Singh twisted his lips at the endearment and said , " Our men in Rajouri are yet to find the conspirator. Perhaps we should set a trap for him."

" No, not yet," Abhimanyu shook his head, " he's desperate, not stupid. We must starve him until he has no choice but to take the bait."

Abhimanyu kept Murti's brush on a nearby table as Vikram came towards him.They were acquaintances - Abhimanyu had recently joined the Rashtravadi Party in which Vikram's father was a senior leader.They didn't know each other well, and shook hands formally. A silent caretaker took Murti to the stables.

" To what do I owe this pleasure?" Abhimanyu said, loftily.

" I'm here on behalf of our college," Vikram replied, holding out an invite, " The annual debate is one of the most important events held every year, and since you're our trustee , I insist that you must attend."

" I will do my best," Abhimanyu said flatly. He lost all interest in the conversation. He had no intention of going to any events whatsoever. He only became a trustee to increase his political goodwill.

Vikram thought his diplomatic answer was a tactic refusal.

" All the students see you as their role model and your presence would motivate them greatly." Vikram added, pointedly.

His father hammered politics and diplomacy in him since he was only a child. He was silently implying that it would be beneficial for Abhimanyu's image as a Youth leader.

Abhimanyu viewed the tenacious boy in front of him, who wouldn't take no for an answer. Vikram was only in his early twenties, but had some potential and grandiose.Vikram could be a useful ally one day.

" I will send my answer well in advance," Abhimanyu relented, and asked for the sake of courtesy, " Would you like to accompany me for a late brunch?"

Vikram sighed internally at his evasive answer and replied , " Not this time. I came with another student and she's currently unwell. I must hurry her back home." His eyes were fretful as he spoke.

" We have a resident doctor here," Abhimanyu offered, wondering what kind of girl would Vikram be worried about.

" Riva's just dizzy. Nothing too serious." Vikram said hastily, holding out his hand for a parting handshake.

Riva. The name felt like a chill down his spine .Abhimanyu refused to believe , to even think , that Vikram was talking about the Riva he knew. His mind doubted greatly, it is an uncommon name and there's no such thing as coincidences. Uncertainty rose in his heart and he hated the feeling.

He looked at Vikram's polite hand and couldn't bring himself to shake it. He had to confirm his suspicions were untrue. Abhimanyu always chose what his heart desired. Behind him, Man Singh had an ill feeling that something was going to be terribly wrong.

" No need to be formal." Abhimanyu's voice stiff and inanimate, " I'll see you off to the door."

Vikram was slightly surprised by the sudden change in his behaviour. Abhimanyu didn't even accept his invitation properly, but he wants to escort and bid him farewell? Maybe he thought he had been too brazen with him earlier and was compensating by being hospitable.

Abhimanyu guided Vikram through the winding corridors that connected the rest of the hotel to his private residence.Many guests coming their way smiled politely or stared reverently at Abhimanyu, but his eyes were frozen stones, and he was only thinking about Riva. He almost forgot that Vikram was walking behind him until they reached the grand staircase that would lead to the lobby.