Love of my 9 lives (1/?)

(art from @osakana__hell on twitter)

Everything was dark, although maybe it just was that my eyes were closed. I couldn't quite know. I'd try to open them wide, but it was still dark, so was it that everything was pitch black? Or was it that I couldn't open my eyes?

Someone was touching me, and I tried to writhe, to move away, but I also couldn't move. Where was I? I tried to remember, but I couldn't. I tried to think about what was the last thing I remembered, and still, there was nothing. How did I end up here? 

Cold and slender hands were touching my collarbones, long and pointy nails drawing some patterns under my arms. They were incredibly cold, freezing, or maybe it was some liquid. I tried to ask, but I couldn't either. 

That was a few days ago, or maybe a week, I'm not sure because the next thing I remember was waking up in something like a cave. Or maybe it was a cage. Maybe both. 

In any case, it was a huge cave, and though the air was humid, I was not at all cold.  I scrunched my nose, trying to remember something again, trying to remember how I ended up there, but still, nothing. All I knew was who I was and that I was not where I should; or how I should. 

I was (Y/n) (L/n). I knew because I had my memories. I knew I was a jonin from Konoha. I knew I had my own team, and that we were on a mission. Or was I alone? I think I was at some point. At least I was now. I had all my memories, slowly remembering more of myself, of the people I held close, and the things I had been through. I knew I was (Y/n), retired from the anbu not long ago. And yet, why was I... covered in fur? Why did I turn around and saw a tail? Why was I so small? Why when I tried to talk, all that came out of me were meowls and hisses? 

Just what the hell had happened on that mission?

I found my way out of the cave, just to find myself in the middle of a forest. There were so many scents floating in the air: animals (both alive and dead), and even insects. Not even as a ninja I could feel as many stimuli in nature. It was so overwhelming, that I almost got distracted following a tiny mouse. 

Maybe it was because I was hungry, my animal instinct kicking in. Or maybe it was my new form because as I tried to find my way to Konoha, I found myself getting distracted over and over again, almost as if I had forgotten for a second that I was not a cat but a human in the form of a cat.  And then, when I was closer to Konoha, it was the fact that I was a cat that I forgot. 

The more I approached the gate —I knew due to the meat bao aroma and the distant busy chatter —the more I thought about what I'd say. If I had gone missing on a mission, they'd have to take me into interrogation. I'd say I didn't remember and they'd have Inoichi look into my memory. What would I tell to Kotetsu? I had only been away for a week, but... Wait, or maybe it was more than a week... Maybe I could ask them how long I had been missing. 

But then I reached the door, and I realized I wouldn't be able to ask anything because the moment I approached them they picked me up before I could cross the gates. 

"Can't get in, kitty, go away," Izumo said with a kind voice before he let me go a few meters away. 

"Wait!" I called, but instead, I meowed. 

I looked at them, waggling my tail as I realized that they couldn't let any animals pass in case there was a ninja capable of doing a transformation jutsu into an animal. I had never heard of it, although I guess it wasn't much different from what had happened to me. I just wished I could control this and go back to my human self like a normal jutsu.