Chapter Forty Six: A Good Streak

Start from the beginning

"Why would she do that?"

"I never had the courage to ask her but I came to understand that she wanted me to herself. She wanted me to stay with her. She did that many times until I stopped showing up on adoption days."

"It sounds like she is the one who needs to apologize to you."

"Yeah..." I sighed. "But I was very rude to her the last time we spoke. For that I want to apologize and thank her for taking care of me. That is the bigger picture. Maybe after this holiday I'll go see her."

"I still think she should be the one apologizing. But I'm often wrong about these things."

"Do you miss your mother?" I asked her.

"Every minute." She rested her chin on get folded knees.

I placed my hand on her back. "You will be all right. Give it time. Right now it seems like a never ending pain but when you give things time, it gets better."

"Do you really love my father?" She asked me. "Not what he has?"

"Even if Marcelle had tattered clothes and nothing in his pocket, I will still love him. It's the man I care about. Not what he has." I assured her. "I understand your concern. But I promise you, I'm with him for love. I love him."

She nodded slowly. "In that case I'm sorry for doubting your intentions."

"Thank you." I raised her chin. "Smile." She smiled a little at first and then she really smiled. She's a beautiful girl! Both of his daughters are beautiful even if they look nothing alike. Two different women and his children are consistently good looking. Perhaps if I get a child with him, he or she will look this good. "There you go. You look even more prettier when you smile."

"Hey!" Maia startled us. "What's happening here?"

She's eyeballing Nerina.

"I'll see you in the house? Later or something?" Nerina shrugged and got up quickly.

I waved at her as she walked away.

"At you scare her away!"

"I didn't do anything. I just asked a question." Maia has cold icy blue eyes. She doesn't have to say anything. She just stares and it's communicated. "Was she bullying you?"

"No. We were having an honest conversation. Sit down."

"Have you ever seen Versace on the sand?" She gestured to her dress. "Plus I'm going out with Pascal, I don't want sand on me."

"You're fussy."

"I'm not fussy. I'm specific. There's a difference!"

"And you say Marcelle is fussy." I laughed.

"Marcelle is very fussy! You haven't known him long. Wait till he settles in and he shows you just how fussy he is. I had to design from being his realtor!"

"Who is the fussiest family member?"

"In this order from most fussiest. Marcelle. Daddy. Done."

"The others?"

I love learning about his siblings. They are interesting. "All the girls except me are very easy going. I'm not easy going. So don't assume things about me. Miki is always up for anything. He adapts like nothing I have ever seen."

"And Matt?"

"Sometimes I feel like it will take two lifetimes to understand Matt. Okay, so I'll just ask because I hate small talk. Did you two fuck?"

"Maia! Don't use that word!" I got up.

"Vee, men look at sex for what it is. A good fuck. It's physical for them. They just want to get off. It's emotional for women."