Memorable Dates

Alara 

My days have been anything but ordinary ever since I got engaged to Cameron Grayson, and now here I am bored out of my mind staring at the ceiling for the hundredth time with my legs swung over the back of the couch and my head hanging upside down. 

"All the blood is going to rush to your head, you know darling," Cameron's smooth voice fills the room, spreading to each corner and wrapping itself in only that warm deep tone he could pull off. 

I scramble off of the couch half falling and tripping over my own two feet, and in a matter of moments Cameron is in front of me steadying me with strong hands, and deep green eyes that look straight into my soul, "Easy there, sweetheart," he chuckles lowly and spark of electricity run's down my spine. I will never, never get tired of the sound of his laugh. 

I smile up at him, batting my eyelashes just to be annoying because I know what effect it has on him, and just like butter he melts in my palm, I watch as he gulps slightly as I stare at him large doe eyes full of the love he needs, and I reach out a warm palm to his cheek, he only ever lets that little tinge of pink bloom across his cheeks when we are alone, and then ever so softly I press a kiss against his lips, it's quick and fervent and he looks like he want's more but I'm already backing away, just giving him a taste before I flash him a smile at his ever so stunned face, "You took your time, I missed you,"

Soon he is pulling me back into his arms, not letting me go, and resting his chin against the top of my head, "I'm sorry darling, you know how careful I have to be, no one can know we are here,"

"Still, you should take me with you next time," I subtly tried to hint that I was sick of staying indoors, all cooped up and locked away like a sheltered princess who had never felt the warmth of the sun kiss her skin, or a gentle breeze whip through her hair. 

"Absolutely not, it's too dangerous and I won't lose you," his voice was low, a tortured whisper that begged me to stay, "Not again."

I had lost count of how many times I had been kidnapped, almost killed, pushed and shoved with knives to my birthmark with greedy smiles in my direction. I had been drugged, threatened and even had a gun held to my head. I had been beaten down, half starved and had a bounty placed on my head. The Italian Mafia, the Bloodhounds, Cameron's father, all looking for me because of a fucking Blood Diamond that I had no interest in but was inexplicably a walking map for. I had shot someone, run for my life, told my father to go to hell and moved halfway across the world with a man who had once hated me. 

But now, he was the only one I could trust, and here he was smirking at me, a devilish grin that could never be battered out of him. With love in his eyes that shouldn't be there. There was a time when I thought this marriage of convenience would be just that, a contract, clinical with no room for emotion, but how very wrong I had been. 

I had fallen or him, for the most ruthless gang member you could imagine, I had seen him coated in another man's blood, I had seen the rage in his eyes, his willingness to kill. I had heard how he had shot a man straight between the eyes without a second glance, not an ounce of remorse in sight. I had seen cruel words fall from twisted lips, of threats and promises of violence, and yet despite it all, I loved him. 

But I had yet to say it properly. 

Those three words could make or break everything, but it felt stupid to think like that, how a few measly words could do anything with all that we had been through together. 

"Do you know what today is?" I asked as we sat down for a lunch I had made, just a simple pasta dish with mince and bell peppers, nothing too fancy, just something quick to whip up. 

I didn't miss the panic that crossed Cameron's face, which goes to show that even the men with the coldest of hearts lives flash before their eyes when they think they have missed an important anniversary or any other memorable date.

"God have I forgotten something, I know it's not your birthday, or the anniversary of our engagement, what is it?" his eyes met mine and stirred with a fear that I never thought I would see in his eyes, I couldn't help but laugh, pulling my fork in front of my mouth so I didn't choke, "Come on Darling, you're killing me here, just tell me,"

I took another gulp full of laughter before I settled down enough to speak, "Today would've been our wedding day,"

His expression changed immediately, a look of pure wonder crossing his features succeeded by disappointment that flared and burnt that hopeful glint, "Oh,"

"Oh?" I quirked an eyebrow, not the reaction I was expecting.

"I mean, not Oh-" he stumbled over his words and I had never seen him so flustered, it was endearing and adorable to see, "I mean, I'm kind of sad that I'm not seeing you in beautiful white dress, with your hair pinned up in that elegant bun you always want to try and do with the plaits feeding into it, and wisps of hair sticking out in perfect elegance, and you walking down the Isle, with the most dazzling smile, white and blush pink roses with peonies because they are your favourite flowers clasped between your delicate fingers," he paused slightly gazing directly at me, "And you would have these eyes, this bright innocent eyes and you would be looking at me and only me. And for a moment my heart would skip a beat and I would think, what did I ever do to deserve you."

When he finished, I was completely floored, speechless unable to form the words to describe how he had made me feel. 

So I launched myself from my seat and wrapped my hands around him, holding him tightly as though if I let go he would just slip through my fingers, that he would disappear and fade into the back of my mind, as nothing more than the figment of what I had conjured up as the perfect husband.

I kissed his cheek lightly, "No, Cameron Grayson, what did I do to deserve you."