Chapter 14

****"Where are we going?" I asked excitedly as we hauled out of the driveway.
"It's a surprise! If I tell you, then it won't be a surprise anymore!" Dad replied with a slight grin on his face. Mom chuckled from the passenger side. She looked beautiful with her long dark hair, and a smile on her face.
"Fine" I moaned, sitting back in my seat. I looked down at my little sundress mom had bought me the day before. It's my favorite. She told me that it was for school, but I wear it anyways because I love it so much, and besides, school doesn't start for a month.

The sun was hot and I could feel it burning my skin through the car window.
"Buckled up?" Dad asked, looking at me through the rear view mirror. I noticed how happy his bright blue eyes looked. They always crinkled at the sides when he laughed. His hair was dark also, but showed a little bit of grey in it. Mom always made fun of him for it, but just in a joking kind of way.
I quickly clicked my seat belt together and nodded. He smiled at me, as we turned onto the highway.
I secretly knew where we were going. He took me out for ice cream on every hot day, and it was always a 'surprise'.
I always played along though. The ice cream place was just down the road from the house, so we went there pretty often. I loved ice cream!
But all of a sudden, the ice cream place was behind us. And we were still driving.
"Dad?" I looked in the mirror at him, but in his place, sat Scott.
"I'm not your father."
My heart started pounding.
"Where's dad.." I almost whispered.
I peered at mom in the passenger seat. She no longer had her beautiful long black hair, or a pretty summer dress on. Instead, her grey uncombed hair and baggy, dirty clothes sat in replacement. Her smile was gone. I looked out the window and we weren't home anymore. We were sat in the driveway of Scotts house.
"Get out." Mom said to me. "We don't want you anymore."
I looked at her, tears welling in my eyes.
"But mom.."
"OUT."****

Suddenly I was in bed. I was breathing heavy, my heart pacing. Tears were running down my face. I looked around, remembering where I was.
I haven't had a dream about dad in such a long time.. I guess coming back here triggered some old memories.

Ever since dad passed, everything went downhill. To the extreme. I was only 12 years old when he left us.
I hate drunks. Especially drunk drivers. Is liquor more important than someones life? Idiots.
I shivered, thinking about the moment we had gotten the call. Mom left me with our next door neighbor and rushed to the hospital. I remember being really confused because no one would explain to me what was going on, or why dad was in the hospital.
Things were too bad. Doctors tried, but they couldn't do anything for him.
I didn't even get to say goodbye.

Tears ran down my face, but I didn't stop them. I sat up on the bed, and leaned back on the headboard, shaking.

Dad working, was the only way we could afford our house. When he passed, we lost everything. Mom tried to get a job, but she couldn't keep up with the payments any longer. Eventually we sold our house, and moved into a small 2 bedroom apartment.
She didn't smile as much as she used to.
She was sad.
I was too young to understand at the time, but now I realize that she had fallen into a depression.
That wasn't the worst part though. That was BEFORE Scott came into the picture. I never understood why mom would go with someone else but dad.
I hated that she would even think of being with anyone else.
But I realize now, how lonely she was. She tried her best to be happy for my sake, but I knew how sad she really was. She wasn't the same. She never was the same after dad left.

Anyways, Scott took us from the apartment, and brought us here.
He always had a hatred for me, and somehow turned mom against me too.
I had grown up a bit, and had managed to get a boyfriend (Dylan) and that was how he convinced her to kick me out. They told me to go live with him, instead. That there wasn't enough room for me here.
I left.
Dylan had treated me well at the time, and honestly, I always hated being in the presence of Scott. So I left, and never came back. Until now. They never contacted me in any way and I probably never would see my mom again if it were up to her.