Chapter 13

Steve continued to stare at me, forcing me to feel more uncomfortable than I already felt. I shifted on my feet awkwardly.
He slowly started to nod and turned around, disappearing into the smoke filled house, closing the door behind him.

I watched the door, waiting to see if he actually just left me there, or if he was getting my mother.

...

Guess he left.

I slowly turned around and began walking back to my car, my eyes welling up with tears. After all these years, I just get a door slammed in my face.

Suddenly I heard the door creak open behind me. I could feel my heart pacing as I peaked over my shoulder.

"Mom...?" I whispered

"Hello sweety."
I gulped and slowly turned around, walking back towards the doorway where she stood.

As I stepped closer to her, the light from inside of the house revealed how much she had changed since the last time I'd seen her. Which was about 4 years ago, right before she kicked me out of the house.
She looked so much older. Much more tired. Her once black hair grew grey, and her face held more wrinkles than I could remember. She wore an old black t-shirt, which appears to have holes torn through the black, and some old fashioned jeans.
I also noticed she lost a nice bit of weight since the last time I had seen her.
She looked...sad.

"Come in..?" She asked, breaking me from my thoughts.

"Um sure.." I whispered, looking at my feet, nodding.

She stepped away from the doorway, making way for me to come in.

I slowly walked in, feeling the heat and the strong smell of cigarette smoke hit my face.
I recognized the home as soon as I walked through the doorway. Mom and I spent maybe a month here together with Steve before I left. Beyond the porch was the kitchen and dining room, which opened up into a living area. On the other side of the kitchen, a hallway lead to a bathroom and 2 bedrooms. One for mom and Steve, and one for, well... me.
The only piece of hardwood floor in the entire house was in the kitchen. An old purple colored carpet covered the rest. Old green wallpaper covered the walls of the kitchen and dining area. Just as it always has.
I looked around, noticing the mess that the house was in. I can't believe mom was living this way for this long.

Dirty dishes piled in the sink. The stove top looked filthy, just like the counter tops and table.
Cigarettes EVERYWHERE.
Liquor bottles (Full and empty) EVERYWHERE.

I turned and looked at mom, still stood in the porch. She was watching me take everything in, with embarrassment and sadness in her eyes.

We stared at each other for a moment. Steve, who was standing behind mom also watching me, hauled out a cigarette and lit it, adding to the smoke, as if the house wasn't suffocating enough.

"I missed you." Mom said quietly, as though she was afraid she'd scare me off again, even though she was the one to kick me out in the first place?

"I-I missed you too.."I admitted, twiddling with my fingers.

She turned, facing Steve.
"Give us a moment?" She asked him. He stared at us for a second before nodding, and walking around us to head into the living area.

Mom then led me to the kitchen table and sat with me, saying nothing.
We haven't seen each other in so long, and there was nothing for us to say.
Did she even want to see me?

"I thought I'd never see you again." She said, breaking the silence.
I stared down at my fingers.

"I thought I'd come and visit." I replied.

"It's about time, I've been worried about you."

Clearly not that worried. It's not like she tried to contact me in any way after kicking me from the house. But I wasn't here to fight. I have to keep the peace if I expect her to let me stay.

"I need a favor." I said, sighing.

She watched me, waiting for me to continue.

"I need a place to stay for a bit."

"Where's Dylan? Mom questioned.
I knew she hated him from the moment we got together.

"He's home."

"Why are you here?"

I flinched at her words, realizing how unwanted I was.

"I-um, we just thought, um...-"

"Honey. You are welcome here." Mom said, cutting me off. She grabbed both of my hands, and looked me in the eyes.
"You know where your bedroom is." She smiled at me, revealing her yellowed teeth.
Probably from the smoking. I couldn't help but feel a pang of sadness.

I could remember when I was young...and when dad was alive. We had this big beautiful white house, and the perfect little family. Mom never smoked back then. We were happy.
I remember she would bring me into the bathroom every morning and night, and brush her teeth with me, showing me exactly how to do it, so that I got every single spot.
I hated brushing my teeth, but mom made sure that I did.
I remember noticing how white her teeth was, and wanting mine to be so white.

I guess she doesn't care so much any more.

"Thanks mom." I said, smiling up at her.

She nodded. "Whatever reason it is that you are here, and not with him, I will take it."

She stood up from the table and hauled me into a hug. I hugged her back. It's been so long since I hugged mom. Truth is, I miss her and dad so much. I miss the way things were.
My life has gone so downhill since those times in the white house, and I would give anything just for things to be the way that they were. But I knew that was never going to happen.

"You must be tired." Mom said, breaking the hug.

I nodded. "A little."

"Where are all of your belongings?" Mom questioned me.

I suddenly realized that the only belongings I had would be the clothes on my body, my purse and my phone.

"I...forgot them." I cringed internally at the pitiful lie.

She frowned, crinkling her eyebrows at me. I shrugged.

"Okay, that's fine. You still have some clothes in the room."

"Seriously?" I smiled, following her into my old room.

My room hasn't changed, since the day I'd left it. My weird band posters still hung on the blue wallpapered walls, surrounding my little bed, which sat in the corner of the room. The bed sheets look as though they haven't been touched since the day I'd left them, and my closet and bureau's still held some clothes and old sketchbooks that I'd left.

I forgot how much I enjoyed drawing.

"Well, you could get settled in and get some rest. I'm sure you must be tired, because I sure am." Mom smiled at me, before leaving the room.

"Thanks mom" I replied.
She closed the door behind her.

I had a little red alarm clock laid on my nightstand which read 1:42 AM.

Is it that late? That can't be right. I took my phone from my back pocket and flicked it on, revealing the time. 1:42 AM.

I guess it is that late.
I turned down the sheets on the bed, before stripping down in my underwear. I'll look through my clothes tomorrow. This is fine for tonight. I climbed into bed not realizing how tired I was until my head hit the pillow.
I fell into a deep sleep, almost instantly.