Chapter 40- Too Good to be True

Start from the beginning

"Well, that's what you get for putting all your work off. You should have thought about your poor secretary some more," I condemned through my laughter.

"Did he pay you to say that?" And I rolled my eyes at his conspiracies.

"Have you eaten?" I asked, changing the subject.

"I'm eating now. A burrito in one hand, a pen in another," He sighed. "What about you? I do hope that you're in a less pitiful situation than me right now," He added.

"Yes, in fact, I am. I have an hour left before the court hearing, but for now, I'm chilling at a cafe, and drinking a nice, cold Frappuccino. Don't be too jealous,"

"You're not lying, are you? Should I call Alice to make sure," The smug smirk wiped itself off my face as I scoffed, glaring at the phone screen where his name was written.

"I can't be that big of a workaholic for you to believe that I'm enjoying a break,"

"Yes, you can be. Because you are, but it's okay, darling, I still love you. Or rather, it's one of the things I love about you. A strong, career driven woman-"

"Stop trying to inflate my ego, you silly man," I cut him off as he laughed.

"I'll be home in time to kiss you goodnight," He whispered, most likely cautious of the presence of his secretary.

"I'm not a child... But, okay. I'll wait for you. Enjoy your lunch, I... love you," I spoke, my words drifting away as I saw the figure of a familiar person walking into the cafe.

"I love you too. I'll call you again when I'm going to take off, but bye for now, Angel," And a quiet silence rested between us for a moment as he waited for me to hang up, he was never the one to hang up first.

"Angelina," I jumped, quickly snapping back to reality as I shook my head.

"Oh, sorry. I'll see you soon, bye," And I heard his quiet chuckle from the other end, dismissing any worried thoughts that he might have had.

"Bye," He whispered once again as I finally ended the call, putting my phone in my purse before picking my head up to see Donovan already staring at me from the till, a look of shock on his face, which helped me to think that this was just a coincidence, and not planned.

And for some reason, I was in a good mood today. Maybe that's why I gestured for him to sit on the empty seat opposite me. And after a moment of thought, he came to do as told, sitting down as he stared at me just as I stared back at him.

This man; I used to love him so much.

But even then, the love I had for him back then is nothing compared to the love I have for Lucian right now. Because Lucian was able to show me what it really felt like to be loved, and appreciated, this man here has never been able to do the same.

"How have you been?" He eventually asked.

"Good, since I got my company back. But there was a lot of cleaning up to do, you left quite the mess in your short stay," He sighed a low sigh as he heard my words.

"You've always been better at business than me,"

"It's not that I'm good, it's just that you're bad. You should have spent more time focusing in class back at Uni instead of messing around so much," I really needed to take a chill pill instead of just firing shots at him at every given opportunity.

"I'm sorry, Lina. You deserved better than me," He muttered out, and I had to pause myself before I ended up saying another inappropriate thing.

"Yes, I did. But I got better, the man I have now is showing me just how bad of a husband you were. Maybe you were never good, I just thought you were because you were the first man that I'd ever loved," He didn't say anything to that.