Chapter 13: Escaped

I wasn't sure how much time passed, but it felt like a lot. Oliver decided he was going to light a fire, which was unfortunately for me, considering I just removed my restraints. I couldn't wait any longer to Mya and Leah. I pulled the guy beside me over, covering his mouth with one hand, squeezing his neck with the other. It was hard to not kill anyone, honestly. Silently, I managed to knock him out. Oliver heard a thud.

"What are you both doing?" Oliver chuckled. I improvised. I would never do this ever again in my life. I moaned softly. Howles was quiet, lost for words. "Oh." He spoke dumbfondly. He just went on building the fire without a care. It pissed me off that he actually believed it. Well, then. I stood, inching around Oliver, feeling around for the gun. He couldn't see me, or so I thought.

"Looking for this?" He waved the gun back and forth. I felt that same feeling. The feeling when Brian caught me sneaking out of the cabin. Like before, I darted out of the cave and began running. My leg hurt like hell still, and even better he just shot me in the arm. I covered my mouth, trying not to cry, to even make a sound. He was shooting blindly and I couldn't let him know where I was. Suddenly, the light from the stars emerged and he could see me clearly. He didn't shot me, though. I clasped a hand to my arm. He knew I was already bleeding out. He left me there and went back inside. It was my right arm too, my good arm. I wouldn't be able to aim a weapon. From the bullet in my arm, my leg and the cuts on my arm, I wanted to give up. The pain was immense. Kiwi's was even worse. I shouldn't of hurt that girl so much, I told myself. It was just the anger I felt at the moment. Damn. I laid on the sandstone, closing my eyes, hoping I'd wake up in bed, next to my stuffed animal. And I did. No, I'm just kidding. I didn't. My stuffed animal wasn't there.

I awoke in morning to someone shaking me. I awoke, it was Brian. He kissed my cheek softly. I was in bed. My eyelids were heavy. I didn't, couldn't tell if it was day or night. When I came to full consciousness, I realized I was in the cabin's bed. Leah had found me. Only Leah. Mya was dead. The little girl was dead. I found out after I woke and asked about her. Leah was hesitant and crying, but Brian told me without batting an eye. I could read his eyes. He felt the pain. More than the physical pain. I doubted it was Oliver. I Knew there was only one blonde dumb enough here to pull crap like that: Kiwi. But Kiwi was dead as well, thanks to me. I killed her. I was going to prison. I wasn't old enough for prison, but when I was, I'd sure as hell be going. Brian reminded me not to drop the soap. That made me laugh. What didn't was when they told me the kid I interrogated in the forest, was found dead. There's another twenty years of bad cafeteria food. When I was healed, I planned on kicking Oliver's ass. It wasn't just a goal anymore, it was a new entire mindset. Terrific kid award for the month of kicking ass? I won it seven times, thank you very much. It seemed the game creators took a very, very long time. When I say long time, I mean actual months. A lot had happened in two days. Not much happened in two months. Everyday it was practically the same.

11:00am: Wake up.
11:00-am - 11:00pm: Ignore Brian.
11:00pm: Go to sleep.

Ignoring Brian was the main focus of my days. I didn't want to talk about what happened between, neither expand on it. Other than ignoring Brian, I'd make weapons and furniture, have Leah teach me how to harvest fruit. The one thing I absolutely would not do was hunt animals. That's how humans wrecked the planet in the first place. Don't take more than you need. We had enough fruit to keep us going. There was barely any animals to begin with. But after the month, they started to repopulate. The forest was actually looking like a forest. We had escaped Oliver, well, for now, but we hadn't escaped the Island. Something about Azalea Island churned my stomach. I mean, Tori mutated into a Hawk. Why would her programming do that? Many questions were left unanswered. Another week passed and Oliver never tried to hunt down and kill us. I decided that we'd leave Oliver be. He posed no threat at the moment. After that week, one day Leah, Brian and I were out harvesting berries. That familiar ear piercing screech came on. Thank god. Thank the gods.

"Hello. Is this on? Alright. So, we've fixed the game. We're uploading you all now out of the game. It will take a minute, so we apologize. For compensation, we all award you one hundred thousand dollars for your troubles." The voice spoke before leaving. I hugged Brian tightly. Leah hugged me tightly from behind. Part me wanted to stay. I had got so use to the lifestyle. Plus, it was so incredibly beautiful here. I missed my dog, though. I heard a gunshot. I flinched. We started being uploaded to the real world, being slowly pixelated out. Brian dropped. There was a bullet hole through his head. I clasped both hands to my mouth. I looked over my shoulder.

"That's for killing my sister, you bitch." He cackling insanely. I was about to throw up. I did. I was at 20% upload percentage. I crawled next to Brian. Leah was silent, frozen in spot. I shook him.

"This is just a game. Wake up." I whispered. I closed my eyes, hugging my knees to my chest. Wake up, wake up. 75%. Leah was left. Brian wasn't uploading. This couldn't be happening.