Ch. 22 - The Return

"On your left."

A circle of sparks revolved until it opened up in a portal. Three people stepped out and Steve could tell by their silhouettes who they were. Okoye, T'Challa, and Shuri walked towards him, there to help.

Steve was still breathing pretty hard, but his shoulders slumped in relief. Bruce's snap worked... and he wasn't alone anymore.

Sam flew through and then dozens more portals opened. Wakanda's army, Asgardians, and sorcerers all came through ready to fight. Ant-man broke through the Compound wreckage with Banner, Rocket, and Rhodey in hand. God, this was more than he'd dreamed of getting.

He looked through all of the people and he saw the faces of the people he cared about. Y/n came through the first portal that opened, still in the Black Widow suit that Natasha gave her all those years ago. Bucky was there, looking the same as when he last saw him. He suppressed the growing need to run to each of them, they still had a battle to win.

Everyone lined up beside him, right across from Thanos' army. He felt so much more confident in their chances now that it wasn't just him.

"Avengers..." Steve called upon Mjolnir and the hammer immediately flew into his hand. "...assemble."

Together, they all sprinted toward the army. Steve stayed with the group this time.

Clashing of bodies and weapons were heard along with the yells from his side and shrieks of the alien creatures on the other.

While Steve was fighting, he called Mjolnir back only for Thor's ax to come to him instead. His eyebrows furrowed and he looked at Thor, who was right beside him holding Mjolnir.

"No, no. give me that! You have the little one."

He tossed it to Thor and in return, he got Mjolnir back. Steve ran off to go find more creatures to defeat. He spotted lots of them charging toward Bucky and y/n, who were shooting at all of them. Steve's heart jumped as he ran to help them.

He conjured some lightning and pointed it toward the large group of aliens, killing them instantly.

Y/n put her two guns at her side and sprinted over to him, practically tackling him in a hug.

"That man with the cape said we were gone five years, Steve. Oh, God. I'm so sorry," she panted, burying her face in his neck.

"Oh, Daffodil. It wasn't your fault, not one bit." He tightened his arms, crushing her to his chest. They didn't have much time. "God, I've missed you."

They only had a few seconds of reuniting until Steve let go of y/n and focused on the mission at hand. More creatures showed up.

"Stay with Bucky, okay?"

She nodded, and he called Mjolnir back to fight off another hoard of the aliens.

"Cap!" Clint's voice came through his earpiece. "What do you want me to do with this damn thing?!"

"Get those stones as far away as possible!"

Bruce came up to him, smashing some aliens along the way. "No! We need to get 'em back where they came from."

"No way to get them back, Thanos destroyed the quantum tunnel," Tony pointed out.

"Hold on!" Lang shrunk back to his regular size. "That wasn't our only time machine."

Steve heard Lang's van go off with La Cucaracha. He got on top of some debris to try and get a visual, but couldn't see anything.

"Anyone see an ugly brown van out there?"

An unfamiliar woman on a white pegasus replied to him, "Yes! But you're not gonna like where it's parked."

"Scott, how long you need o get that thing working?" Tony asked urgently.

"Uh, maybe ten minutes."

"Get it started. We'll get the stones to you," said Steve.

"We're on it, Cap," another unfamiliar voice affirmed. It must've been the woman that Lang lost in the Blip.

Their gauntlet was passed around from Clint to T'Challa to that Spider-man from Queens. Wanda was taking on Thanos by herself and almost won, but he ordered his ship to rain fire and everyone had to protect themselves. Sorcerers put up barriers for them.

Spider-man started panicking over comms, "Help! Somebody help!"

"Hey, Queens! Heads up!"

Steve threw Mjolnir in the direction of the kid and the van. Hopefully, that would take him a long way.

The constant fire from the ship stopped all of a sudden, and the guns were then pointing and shooting at the sky instead. Just a few seconds later, what looked like a meteor went right through Thanos' ship. Steve watched as Carol Danvers changed directions and made the entire ship fall into the body of water.

"Danvers, we need an assist here."

Right as she was about to get the stones to the tunnel, Thanos destroyed the van. They had to protect the gauntlet! Tony attacked Thanos first, and then Thor was pushing him down with both his ax and hammer. Steve jumped on Thanos' back.

Thanos pushed Thor away and tossed Steve off his back, then punched his head into the ground. Steve went unconscious for a while.

When he came to, he watched as Thanos snapped his fingers and panic filled him again. Only, nothing happened.

He looked over. Tony was on his knees as the stones traveled up his forearm and to his knuckles. The sheer power of the stones was visible.

Tony was panting, but he looked Thanos right in the eyes and said, "And I... am... Ironman."

Tony snapped his fingers, and all of Thanos' army began to turn to dust. Steve looked around, smiling as every threat disappeared before his eyes. Thanos himself sat down, awaiting his death before he turned to dust too.

The kid was desperately talking to him, but he wasn't responding. Pepper gently pushed the kid away from Tony so that he wouldn't have to watch and so that she could talk to Tony as he died. Steve watched as the blue light Tony's arc reactor went out.

Clint was the first to take a knee, but everyone else followed soon after. This was how they honored Tony's sacrifice. It was done.