Ch. 18 - Where's the Fight

Obviously, Steve gave in to her after just a couple, of "please"s. Even though he thought it was a bad idea for her to join him, he could never say no to her.

He put on the suit he hadn't worn in nearly two years, which was missing the white star on the chest and any Avengers logos that had been on there.

Natasha picked them both up in a quinjet, which Steve didn't know how she got. They hadn't been in contact until now, they agreed to meet in a secluded field.

"You changed your hair," he said as he walked up to her, gesturing to her short platinum blonde hair.

She smirked. "And you need a shave."

He shook his head in amusement. "It looks nice, Natasha."

"Thanks," she said, hugging him. When she pulled back, she ran her hand through his facial hair. "I'm actually loving the beard."

He nodded his head. Her eyes shifted to behind him, where y/n was standing. He held out his arm for her to come up by his side.

"So this is the girl?" Nat asked him. She practically circled y/n with a calculating look.

Y/n looked at him with a raised eyebrow. "You talked about me?" she teased.

"Of course I did," he confirmed and then kissed her forehead.

Natasha's lips quirked up in a smirk. "Constantly. To the point where I tried finding him someone else, but he was never able to move on."

"Guess we have that in common." She squeezed his side.

He shook his head. "So what have you been doing these last two years?"

"Oh you know, met up with my sister, took down a trafficking mastermind, and saved thousands of women from the dangers of Hydra kind of mind-control under a man I thought I killed, the usual."

"I guess that's a story for another time, then?"

"Mhm. What about you?"

He looked at y/n. "We've been living a pretty calm life up 'til now."

"I'm happy for you guys. I could've used your help to be honest, but we managed."

He smiled sadly, grateful for all the time he got to spend with the woman he loved but also feeling guilty because Natasha needed him and he wasn't there.

"We have to go get Sam."

The flight to Louisiana took a while, so whilst he and Natasha caught up, y/n and Natasha got to know each other a bit more than what Steve told each of them about the other.

"I brought a suit for you, if you want to wear it," Nat offered.

"A suit?"

Steve watched as Nat removed an all-black suit from a compartment in the quinjet. He agreed that she probably needed something more protective to wear. He'd feel better if she did. "Well if you're gonna fight a war, you got to wear a uniform."

She shrugged. "Alright."

She changed privately in the back, with Nat zipping her up and handing her all these weapons. Pistols on her hips, batons on her back, and those stun bracelets on each wrist. That made him nervous. Not because he didn't trust her to use them, but because of the thought of her having to use them.

"Do you know how to fight at all?" Nat asked her.

"I know how to shoot... and Steve taught me how to throw a punch, but that's about it."

"Okay, it'll have to do. Remind me to teach you some moves after all this, will you?"

A smile grew on her face. "Okay."