Ch. 13 - Breaking the News

Steve was contemplating how he was going to tell his girl that he was moving 200 miles away and wouldn't be able to see her that often anymore. He knew he was going to suggest a long-distance relationship, just until the air cleared and he was able to move back to New York. Even though he didn't know when that was going to be possible.

He was free to hop back on the quinjet and return to New York right after Fury dismissed him, so he called her on the jet ride back, his heart thumping widely in his chest as he listened to it ring.

She picked up. "Hello?"

"Hey, Daffodil."

"Oh, hey, Steve," he sensed a kind of nervousness in her tone. "Are you done with the mission?"

"Yes, I'm on my way back right now. Listen, I have something important to tell you."

There was a short pause. "Me too."

"Okay... are you at your apartment?" she hummed in response. "Is it okay if I come over when I land?"

"Sure."

"Okay. I'll see you there in about an hour."

"See you."

She hung up first.

She seemed... reserved over the phone. Maybe it was just his nerves playing tricks on him, but he swore she was usually more talkative. Especially after not having any contact for a whole week.

Still in all of his tactical gear, he drove his Harley to y/n's apartment to tell her the news. He was going over what he was going to say in his head, just rehearsing until he thought he had something put together. He wanted to put it on gently and maturely, but he was still shaking out nerves as he ascended the stairs to her apartment.

As soon as she opened the door, he greeted her, "Hey Daffodil! I've missed you."

He gently took her waist and tried to pull her in for a long-awaited kiss, but she dodged it by turning her head to the side. His lips landed on her cheek instead.

He pulled back, a little confused with her behavior. The last time he came back to her after a mission, she was really happy to see him.

"How did your job interview go?" he asked, trying to lighten the mood.

It was right then when she broke down in tears. His eyes widened, he didn't know what to do. She'd never cried in front of him before and he was never that good at comforting people.

"H-Hey, what's wrong?" His words only made her cry harder. Did she not get the job? "Daffodil? Please tell me what's wrong."

She eventually managed a single sentence through strangled sobs, "I got the job."

His eyebrows furrowed. "Well that's a good thing, isn't it? You don't have to work at the coffee shop anymore."

She looked up at him with puffy, red-rimmed eyes. "Stark Industries is located in Los Angeles, Steve. I have to move to LA and leave you here."

She had to move to LA to work at Stark Industries? He thought it was located here, in New York.

She answered his question before he could even ask it, "I moved here to get a job at Stark Industries, but ever since the attack, Tony Stark announced that he's moving the business to Los Angeles and that Stark Tower is going to be renovated into something new. It hasn't been officially announced to the public yet."

"Oh, Daffodil. It's alright, this is a great opportunity for you. And you won't be leaving me here, I came here to tell you that I have to move too."

Her breath hitched and her tears halted. "What? Where? Why?"