Ch. 23 - Time is Precious

Tony's funeral didn't take long to plan. It was held at his cabin in Georgia. Steve was one of the only people who watched Tony's hologram video that he made in case he died. Watching Tony's daughter, Morgan, see her father for the last time broke his heart. He would have to take her sledding with his shield sometime.

For a billionaire, not many attended. Pepper wanted it that way, and Steve liked to think that Tony would have wanted it that way as well. The people he was closest to were on the dock, where his ashes and first arc reactor were sent off in a flower wreath.

Y/n stood by him as he silently cried for his friend. Steve had a lot of regrets over the years when it came to Tony, none that he had the opportunity to make up, but at least they weren't fighting when he died.

~~~~~~~

Not long after the funeral, Steve volunteered to be the one who returned all of the stones. "Remember, you have to return the stones to the exact moment you got 'em or you're gonna open up a bunch of nasty alternative realities."

"Don't worry, Bruce," Steve said as he clasped the case containing the stones. "Clip all the branches."

There was a pause before the scientist spoke again, "You know, I tried. When I had the gauntlet, the stones, I really tried to bring her back." Bruce looked at him. "I miss her, man."

He sighed. Natasha was one of his dearest friends, and her being gone was taking a toll on him as well. "Me too."

They nodded at each other before Steve began toward the platform where the quantum tunnel was set up.

"You know, if you want, I could come with you," Sam suggested.

"You're a good man, Sam. This one's on me though."

He approached Bucky and y/n, who stood together to say goodbye to him. He wouldn't be gone for long in their time, but he'd be gone for who-knows-how-long for him.

"Don't do anything stupid 'til I get back," he said, looking straight into his best friend's eyes.

Bucky smiled at the memory of him telling Steve those exact words before he shipped out to England in 1943. They were so young then. "How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you."

He hugged his friend, then Bucky went to stand closer to Sam when Steve turned to y/n. "I'll be safe, I promise."

Her eyes scanned his face. He could never get tired of looking at her eyes, he loved them. They shined in the sunlight peaking through the trees as they moved across his features. He loved her.

"I'd prefer you take someone with you."

"I think it's better if I do this myself."

She sighed, but stepped forward and wrapped her arms around his waist. Her head lay on his chest as he did the same, pulling her closer. "I trust you."

"Hey," Steve uttered. His fingertips brushed her hair away from her face. He kissed her forehead gently. "You know I love you, right?"

She nodded. "Yes. I love you too."

Their heads moved closer together until their lips touched. Truthfully, he wasn't kissing her for her, he was kissing her for himself. He hadn't seen her in years and she was with him for what felt like just a couple of days. She would spend five seconds without him while he could be going another few days, maybe even weeks, without her. Though he doubted it would take that long, it was still a possibility.

He broke the kiss and hugged her close once more before letting go altogether. He stepped onto the platform and picked up Mjolnir, readying himself mentally.

"How long is this gonna take?"

"For him, as long as he needs. For us, five seconds." Bruce prepared the machine. "You ready, Cap?" Steve nodded. "Alright, we'll meet you back here, okay?"

"You bet."

Bruce did a countdown until he was sucked into the quantum tunnel to put all six stones back where they belonged.

~~~~~~~

Steve returned to the present with peace of mind, and a new shield. He did an extra time jump so that he could get some closure with Peggy Carter. They had that dance that he owed her and talked for a long time after. They were both happy that they found love outside of each other. She in a man called Daniel Sousa, and him in y/n.

As soon as he deactivated his suit he stepped off of the platform and hugged his daffodil, who was right where he left her. No questions were asked, no words we exchanged, just relief knowing that everything was set right. She knew that he'd tell her what happened when he was ready.

She took a breath before speaking. "So what all happened during the time I was gone?"

He smiled softly before replying, "Don't worry, I'll catch you up on everything."

~~~~~~~

Steve passed the mantle of Captain America on to Sam. He talked about it with Bucky before doing so, and he was all for it. Steve didn't want to fight anymore. Of course he'd help when he was needed, but he wanted to focus on building up that life with y/n that he got a glimpse of those 2 years when he was on the run.

Stark Industries welcomed y/n back with grateful, open arms. A comfortable apartment was offered to her as part of the company's employee benefits– though he had some suspicion that Pepper had something do to with it, so they both moved in there. They were thankful, since they knew many people weren't so lucky after everyone came back.

They married a couple months after he returned the stones. It was a very small wedding with no reception, but they had a long honeymoon in the Maldives.

Steve didn't know what he was going to do now that he had nothing to do. Maybe he could start doing art again? Yeah, he would really enjoy that.

~~~~~~~

The end!