Ch. 2 - First Day

When Wednesday came along, Steve got out of bed early. Granted, he never fell asleep in the first place.

He ate a plain breakfast and chose to go on a run in a t-shirt and sweatpants.

He ran for a few hours, letting his legs lead him around the city streets and parks. Steve was much faster than the average jogger, especially when he full-on sprinted.

When he got back to his apartment, finally sweaty and out of breath, he took a short shower. The summertime heat made him quit sooner than usual. He got dressed in khakis and a blue button-up shirt, combing his blond hair properly. It was about time to leave.

He made his way back to that building on the way to the gym. The sign was gone, just the regular "Open" sign on the door was left. He pushed on the door and walked inside.

The old woman at the desk was gone, but off to the right he heard clanking noises along with chattering. He assumed that's where the classes were held.

He rounded the corner and found at least a dozen people sat at double-seated desks, some talking amongst themselves and others keeping silent. Natural light streamed in from a floor-to-ceiling, wall-to-wall window on the left side of the room.

A few people twisted in their seats to see him come in, some didn't care, others kept staring at him. Uncomfortable, he chose to sit down on the far right of an empty desk. Everyone then continued to talk to each other.

Steve checked the time on his watch and then folded his hands in his lap.

11:31am

Another person, a girl, came through the door and made her way into the room. Her eyes scanned the room before landing on the seat next to him. Her feet followed her gaze as she went to sit down on his left.

She's very pretty, he thought as she took a seat on the stool next to him.

"Hey!"

Steve looked up at the girl through his lashes, making sure she was actually talking to him. When he saw her looking at him, he lifted his head.

"Hi," he greeted.

He could feel himself getting nervous. The only woman he's had a full conversation with was Peggy. He was an awkward person by nature, and the only time he was comfortable talking was when he was talking to Bucky, or giving orders. His rough hands rubbed together under the desk.

"Are you new?"

Confused, Steve shook his head. "Ma'am?"

"I took this class last year. Most people that take these classes go to the college nearby," she explained.

"Oh. No, I'm... not in college. Why do you ask?"

"I haven't seen you around campus, so I thought you were a transfer student, sorry."

He didn't blame her. He was only 27 when he went into the ice, he could have been mistaken as a college student.

"So you're in college?" She hummed in response. "What's your major?"

"I study physics and electronic engineering at MIT. I'm expected to be getting my Masters next year."

"Oh wow, how do you have the time? Don't we meet here three times a week?"

She lightly laughed at him. "The first day is the only day we meet this early. The rest of the time we gather after-school hours for convenience. Everything will be explained today, don't worry."

"Ah, okay."

"So how old are you?"

He thought for a moment before telling her the truth, "94."