1.

As I stepped into the glamorous restaurant, I felt typically underdressed. Sure I was used to going out with my best friend and I'd frequented her fiancé more than a handful of times, but nothing would ever get me used to fine dining or vip entrances. I'd worn a dress I'd nabbed off the internet last week when Alessia had called me to explain that she needed me to meet her, her fiancé Leo, and Leo's brother Marco for a pre wedding dinner.
I'd like to point out at this point that my familiarity with the term pre wedding dinner and what it might entail is limited. None of the parents for either side were with us so really I could assume this wasn't an important function in the run up to their wedding in just four weeks. Perhaps just a debrief with their two most trusted counterparts. Marco was Leo's right hand man, at least that's what Alessia had always told me. Truthfully I knew very little about Marco or in deed Leo. Whilst Alessia would give me juicy details of their encounters she never really talked in depth with me about him. I knew he was in the family business, I knew he always bought her roses when he missed dinner...just nothing gritty that would really spark a conversation.

In all honesty I was dreading the evening. I wasn't necessarily the most confident person when pulled outside of my comfort zone and the silk dress and stilettos were not part of my safe zone. Not anymore. Sure growing up I'd worn skimpy outfits and attempted to walk in ridiculous heels but since turning 23 pretty much everything had changed and now being in sweatpants and sliders seemed way more appealing.

"Sofia" Alessia smiled as I attempted to glide to the table. It was the first time in 16 months I'd worn heels so honestly I probably looked more like a stomping elephant than a gazelle. "Hey" I smiled at her before turning to Leo who had an amused smirk on his face. Probably due to my lack of grace. "Nice to see you Leo" I smiled as he stood up and kissed my hand as per Italian custom, before he glanced to the man on his right, my neighbour at the round table. "Sofia this is my brother Marco. Marco this is Less' best friend Sofia" he introduced me to the 6ft something piece of artwork. "Nice to meet you" I said before hurrying my eyes away from him. He was far too attractive to look at, the sort of man that would have you drooling if you looked for too long. "Likewise" he said deeply, his accent thick as I felt the husk of his voice reverberate through me.

"So what's on the list then" I said turning to Alessia for a distraction. "The list" she said confused, picking up her glass of white wine as Marco called a waiter over. "Yeah you said this was a pre wedding dinner I assumed you'd have a list of stuff you need to go through" she said as Marco started conversing with the waiter about getting me a glass of white wine. "I don't drink." I said awkwardly interrupting him. "Just tap water is fine" I said as I smiled up at the waiter. "You're still not drinking" Alessia groaned. "Correct" I nodded as I looked down to my lap feeling uncomfortable. My body feeling warmer by the second. Was it hot in here, or was it just my anxiety flooding over me. "Still water then for the lady, and you can bring the rest of the white for us" Marco said confidently as the waiter nodded. "Please" I found myself adding to the waiter causing everyone to look at me curiously. "Sorry" I mumbled looking back at Alessia.

I was making a bigger fool of myself than I had expected. Saying that, manners cost nothing. These servers could at least be asked nicely and politely rather than just ordered around. "You were asking about a list" Leo said clearing the awkwardness as I glanced up to spot him looking at me. "Mhmm" I said as I turned to my best friend. "I just thought that was the point of this" I said as I shifted in my seat. "Not really, I just thought it would be nice for you to meet Marco properly. Less awkward on the day" she shrugged indifferently. But what was that even supposed to mean? Did she really think I would let my awkwardness impact on her big day? Sure I wasn't the social butterfly I once was, but I wasn't a total recluse. I knew how to interact with people and I would never jeopardise her big day. "Ok" I said as I looked down to my lap again, embarrassed that even my own best friend thought of me as socially inept.
Luckily the waiter came back with the water and wine, disrupting the silence as he poured the three of them their wine after plonking down a glass bottle of water beside my glass. Looks like you don't get served water, only alcohol, in this place. Reaching for the bottle I felt Marcos eyes on me, the intensity of his stare was unbearable but I couldn't bring myself to ask him to stop. Instead I carried on focusing on the water, pulling the stopper off and pouring myself a glass.