33 - Andrew | Crimson eyes

My palms were sweating and my mind was a wreck. It was the last practice session before All-state; I felt like throwing up.

Derek and his crew have been messing with me even more since they heard the news. I've spent the entirety of the past week trying to play bad on purpose, hoping to get kicked out of the team.

'You need to stick up for yourself, Andrew,' James muttered under his breath as I shot nervous glances in the direction of the older boy.

'I don't know how!'

'Just throw a punch the next time Derek bothers you,' he suggested, narrowing his eyes, 'You can't keep letting him get away with saying whatever he wants and accusing you of cheating.'

'I can't do that,' I objected, 'I don't want to get in trouble and lose my scholarship. Besides, it's easier to just not pay attention to what he says. He'll be graduating soon enough and won't be bothering me after that.'

'Does he bother you now?' James demanded, 'When I'm not around?'

'Only... rarely,' I mumbled, 'I guess he pushes me around sometimes, but—you're usually around.'

'You won't get in trouble for defending yourself,' James insisted, a dangerous look forming in his eyes, 'Did Derek hurt you?'

'Don't hit him!' Marie jumped in, plopping down beside us, 'You're not a wrathful person; you shouldn't act that way.' She glared daggers at James who just shrugged in reply.

I sighed, feeling stuck in the middle. For once, Marie's advice seemed to be more appropriate.

The game began and whichever way I tried to kick the ball it plummeted neatly into the net. By the time it ended, Coach was congratulating me heartily and I was drenched in anxious sweat.

'Well done, Andrew!' she exclaimed, 'Now if only the rest of you could play like Andrew here!'

Derek shot me a withering glare; I shivered, wishing the ground would open up and swallow me whole.

'Ten minutes break!' Coach called out, leaving the field, 'Do your cool-down stretches till I'm back.'

Derek and his cronies made their way over to me as soon as Coach was out of sight. They towered high above me, glaring down in seething rage.

'You little prick,' Derek snarled, inching closer till he was right up against my face.

'Derek...' I gulped, nervously glancing over my shoulder to see James and Marie flanking me on either side. 'What's, er- what's up?'

'I know you cheated!' Derek yelled, 'I don't know how but there is no other explanation!'

'I- I didn't-' I stammered, the words getting stuck in my throat. I shrank back, stumbling over James's feet. I hadn't cheated—I hadn't even tried to play well. The look on Derek's face told me that there was nothing I could say to convince him otherwise.

'Do it,' James mouthed in my ear, referring to his suggestion from earlier. I shook my head indiscernibly. I wouldn't stoop to Derek's level, although he and his friends constantly roughhoused me far more than I let James catch on.

Derek settled for shoving me once before he turned to walk away. I let out a breath of relief that he didn't wish to go further with Coach possibly coming back any minute.

But then, like a flash, Marie was on him, pushing him to the ground. I gasped as he jumped up and swiveled around, instantly punching behind him to where I stood. His hard knuckles connected with my jaw, sounding out a sickening crack. I stumbled to the ground, and before I knew it Derek was on the ground too, pinning me down.

As Derek raised his fist again, he was suddenly being dragged off me. Frozen in place, I watched James throwing him on the ground like he weighed nothing. His fists beat down in a flurry that made the other boy scream.

'James,' I gasped, grabbing his arm, 'James, stop!'

James's breath came out heavy and ragged as he started down at the bleeding boy. Derek's lips were bust open and there were gashes on his brow. His breathing was shallow, his face black and blue all over.

'Why would you....' My words came out in a whisper as I stared into James's narrowed eyes. They were burning scarlet.

'Andrew.' James traced his fingers over my thrumming jaw. 'He hurt you.' I blinked to clear my head but the colour of his eyes remained unchanged.

'You... you hurt him,' I whispered.

His crimson gaze burned intensely. 'I was only protecting you.'

I shivered at his warm touch, tracing lighter than raindrops over my bruised skin. The heat emanating from his fingertips seemed to soothe my tense jaw and alleviate the pain

I barely registered it when Coach got back and threw a fit. I couldn't hear a thing she was saying. All I could see were crimson eyes, gazing into mine. They eventually regained their natural shade of deep turquoise—but, I knew I hadn't been imagining their scarlet shadow.

I walked in a daze to the principal's office.