19 - Andrew | I shudder to think what Marie would've done

James never returned.

I glanced at the empty space in front of the locker on my left. Marie was yapping away on my right but I was finding it hard to pay attention to her.

I hope James is feeling okay. My cold's cured now but I hope I didn't pass it to him. He was sitting on my bed yesterday and there were probably germs on it, I shouldn't have let him stay so close.

I don't even have his number to check up on him and I don't know where he lives. I doubt he'd want me visiting even if he were sick though; I wonder why he didn't want me coming over yesterday.

'—anyway, I have your homework.' Marie shoved it into my arms.

I glanced down confused. I had completely forgotten about the homework after James hadn't returned last night.

'How is it... with you?'

'I took it from your bag last week- at school! I needed to copy down some notes,' she quickly said, 'Anyway I realized there's some homework too, so I did it for you.'

'Um, thanks.'

At least I wouldn't get in trouble for it. I wish she'd mentioned it earlier, but I know she wouldn't understand why school can be stressful sometimes.

'The answers are all right and I'm sure of it,' she proudly confided in me.

That's very ominous.

I shudder to think what she could've done. I flipped quickly through the book and scanned the work. It was surprising very neatly written. I'm quite sure it's not her own doing, her notes are a hideous mess. But she probably didn't even do her own homework, so it's nice of her to do mine.

She looked pleased as she jabbed at the book and showed off all the work she'd supposedly done. My thoughts drifted as she rambled on.

'Did James tell you that I was the one who picked The Void's name?' she asked, correctly guessing where my thoughts were at.

'He didn't.' I smiled. 'But I was surprised he thought of it so fast.'

'No, James can't think of creative and original names like how I can,' Marie quickly explained, 'He probably would've name it Mister Cat, because he's boring.'

I bit my tongue and tried not to smile, not wanting to mention that this was the name I'd immediately thought of.

'Were you there when he found The Void in the gutter?' I asked instead.

'What gutter? He bought it from a pet shop.'

'Wha- he what? Why?' I asked in shock.

'Ohh uh... I think the pet shop rescued it from a gutter though,' Marie lamely said.

She peeped over my shoulder and I turned to see that James was striding towards us. He had a determined look upon his face but his brows were creased together in worry.

'I'm sorry I wasn't able to come back last night,' he said as soon as he reached us, 'I got caught up in some... things.'

'That's okay.' I paused, considering whether to mention The Void's origins and then decided against it. It just felt like an awkward question—and I wasn't so sure if I wanted to hear the answer.

'I thought you fell sick,' I added, once I realized that he wasn't going to say anything else.

'No,' he replied shortly. His eyes flickered away for a moment before he looked back at me and asked, 'May I come over this Saturday?'

'Oh! Yeah sure.' I smiled, a little surprised by his question.

'I want to come too!' Marie quickly jumped in.

'Oh.... Uh.' I cleared my throat awkwardly. 'It's not that I don't want you to but—'

'What? Why can't I come?' she demanded, her mouth hanging open in the shock of being denied entry.

'You're not allowed.' James grinned rather evilly.

I think he said it unnecessarily rudely. The situation was already awkward enough.

'It's just that my parents- well, my mom,' I started hesitatingly. 'Neither of them will be at home on Saturday so... I'm not really allowed to have friends over.'

'You're having James over!'

'He means he's not allowed to have girl friends over,' James explained vexatiously.

I know he said "girl friends" with a space in between, but it still sounded wrong. To my greatest horror, I felt myself starting to blush.

'I'm not his girlfriend'

'I didn't say you were,' James quickly amended, 'Andrew just can't invite over any friends who happen to be girls.'

'That's a dumb rule,' Marie grumbled.

I agree, but it's not one I've argued with. I don't think I've really had a reason to in the past. I suppose James has the same rule since he figured it out immediately. Come to think of it, he probably isn't allowed to bring any friends over at all. That would explain how he acted yesterday.

'Rules are rules.' James shrugged, a wide grin spreading across his face when he noticed how annoyed Marie was getting.

He seemed uncharacteristically chipper about the existence of the stupid rule.

Marie pulled out a fluffy pencil case from her locker. It was baby pink and it had fluffy bunny ears attached to it, as well as a little ball for a tail.

She smacked James with the fluffy bunny ears.

He drew back his arm in surprise. The grin was wiped from his face as it made its way onto hers. She lifted up her pointy little chin and shot him an irritatingly pleased look.

She turned to me next, and tickled my nose with the fluffy ears. I started to sneeze and then the feeling went away.

I was left with an upsetting feeling of needing to sneeze and not being able to.

~~~
A/N: Imagine having a sneeze within you that you just can't get out... this angel truly is evil :/