Chapter 20- The Undefined

It was the first time I had ever seen her, but somehow, I knew it was her. She looked like she was in her mid-twenties or in her thirties. Long black billowing hair was tied up in a ponytail behind her head with the sides of her head, shaved, so the ponytail seemed even more stark and organized. The huge scar on her cheek seemed to align perfectly with her ponytail.

She wore a uniform, black, with golden shoulder plates, the one on her right shoulder shaped vaguely as a dragon head. Her whole uniform was composed of only black, golds, and reds, though each piece was meticulously thought out to make sure each stood out. From her red tunic, to her golden belt, to her black loose pants, none went unnoticed.

Her black gloved hands shot up to the microphone on the podium and I could see red spiked vambraces, looking a deeper shade of red underneath the evening sun.

She smiled, "Hello." Her voice was warm yet light, deep enough to grab my attention but not deep enough to bore me to sleep.

A large applause greeted her. Hollers echoed across the amphitheater.

"I'm glad we are all gathered here," she continued. Her appearance was something but her words were something altogether. She took her time with her words, taking her time with her audience. "I will never forget how beautiful Delensaysia is."

She sighed wistfully. "Though, beauty masks many things. Ever since the system of cooperation with animals was implemented, we turned a drastically different direction from what Iona had originally planned. Though cooperation with animals may have brought this world to what it is, it hides many. It has divided us apart more than ever. Discrimination has overrun this world, allocating it between the powerful, the weak, the smart, the atypical."

People were deathly quiet, raptured by Malanthe's words.

"Unfortunately, having an animal, any animal, can set your life much differently than how you want. Iona had believed in creativity, independence, progress, individuality, yet binds and restricts us to our fates with one animal."

Murmurs of agreement filled the amphitheater.

"It has been ten years since another Phoenix Auxiliary came. All the other Phoenix Auxiliaries have long passed their powers before we could ever have hoped to achieve it. The current Phoenix Auxiliary has not left this world, which means we have another chance to right things. However, as we all know, her power exceeds all of ours, merely because of the animal she has an alliance with. Once she has strengthened her Phluid, she will be unstoppable."

Her eyes scanned the audience with heightened authority, her mouth getting more animated as she continued with her speech. Hearing her speech seemed so beautiful, even convincing me far enough to think I needed to be stopped.

"Every step that she is out there, she is getting stronger, smarter, and she will understand what her powers are. My job, my mission is to make her vulnerable enough so we can truly convince her to hand over her powers willingly to me."

Malanthe kept on mentioning a"she", me specifically, as the Phoenix Auxiliary. Had she forgotten or did she not know that there were two? Two Phoenix Auxiliaries?

Her brows furrowed. "But of course, the process is not easy. To obtain her powers, she, herself, must willingly accept defeat and transfer her powers over. Only her Phluid can determine that. Push her too far and she'll take matters into her own hands. Leave her be, and her Phluid only becomes stronger."

A man raised a hand to catch Malanthe's attention. She looked over at him as the man shouted, "What's your next course of action?"

"With the help of a Snake Auxiliary group, tracking down who the Phoenix Auxiliary was easy. Also, I've heard that a Panther Auxiliary group had sent another Phoenix Auxiliary after her. The one they claimed they secured during one of their raids last year."

"How is that working out?" the man asked again.

A twitch of an eye, but still her words resonated the auditorium with full force. "He's currently with the Phoenix Auxiliary."

Someone stood up suddenly, everyone's head swiveling at him with alarming speed, but he only had eyes at Malanthe. It was Felidae, his tattoo almost stark against the colors around him. "Yes. I've seen him."

Malanthe finally tore her attention away from the crowd and toward him. "What exactly happened to him?"

"He's working for her, Malanthe. Useless, really. Even as an Undefined, his Phluid is a little too damaged. Trying to convince the Phoenix Auxiliary through him won't work, I'm afraid."

It was so strange for Felidae to call Malanthe by her name.

Malanthe didn't look the least bit surprised at Felidae's warning. "Even with the scars?"

"No, I'm afraid they didn't faze him."

Another shiver spiked through me. The things they were saying, nothing could describe Logan more. He had received a scar this morning and back at the Archives, he had been tormented by a parchment that made no sense.

"We just need to be more patient," Malanthe replied easily. "It doesn't take a day to break someone. Who else is with the Phoenix Auxiliary?"

"A Dragon and Garvyn Auxiliary. Of course, you know it's Ace," Felidae noted.

"A Dragon Auxiliary?" Malanthe said, frowning. "Who is that?"

"Veronica Heath. Her parents died along with the Undefined's last year during the raids in Volvanic Acropolis. Her symbol is her earrings and her Phluid isn't mature enough to know what her powers are yet."

"Interesting," Malanthe whispered. "The Phoenix Auxiliary is completely surrounded by flawed people."

Everyone in the audience was on the edge of their seats, trying to hear what Felidae was saying.

"Malanthe," Felidae remarked, drawing Malanthe's attention back to him. "I've already tried provoking her with that tactic. She didn't seem swayed."

Malanthe placed a hand on her chin and then shrugged as if nothing he was saying bothered her in the slightest. "But you don't know until the deed's done. The Phoenix Auxiliary will have no choice when she realizes the impact of the other's as well as her presence in this world."

"If that doesn't work? You always have multiple plans."

"Then I'll meet her in Volvanic Acropolis. There's no way out of it. Let her finale end with fireworks."

Felidae's ponytail buffeted with the wind, but his face was stoned, unmoving. The audience sat still, enrapt and mesmerized by the plan even as simple as it sounded.

"Thank you Felidae," Malanthe acknowledged, taking off the stage in a few fluid steps. "Focus on the Undefined. Just apply a little pressure, nothing much, but just enough to make her think."

She waved a hand to the crowd. "Thank you. Till the next time we meet."