Chapter 6- Ace Ashfeld

The crowd ran to the benches and gave way, slapping their backs against the benches and heaving with the effort to breathe. I did the same, collapsing next to Wyntarina who simply chuckled when she saw me.

Aaron walked to the middle of the beach and watched us in mocked pity. "Seriously? If you're tired from that measly walk, you're never going to pass weaponry training or even getting to the point of introducing yourselves to your animals. You might have flair in your attacks, but endurance is what's going to prevail in the end."

Some people scooted back on their benches in fear while some put on their rebellious faces, tuning out Aaron's words. I didn't realize I had clenched my fists until I let out a breath. The symbol on my hand glowed brightly, similar to shining a flashlight under a stencil.

Aaron looked more like a coach than a mentor with a white, muscle tee and baggy pants. His black and white striped coat covered most of him but as he flourished them with his hands in his pocket, he looked menacing and big. He had no animal, I remembered, which made him seem even more vicious, as if he worked alone and only alone. Mr. Hrodvitnir was a companion and yet was nothing more than a tool for Aaron.

He shouted, "We're walking to that hill everyday, so you better get used to it. Getting an animal bodes responsibility not carelessness. I will not allow the new generation to get away with being lazy and having negligence with their animals. These animals are with you throughout most of your life. Proper routine and habit is a must. By the time you finish this class, your Phluid will be the strongest that will hold the best bond between animal and human. Understood?"

I heard more groans from the crowd. I slumped my head against the moist wood of the bench and felt a sharp sting in the side of my stomach while hearing the words flow from Aaron. All for the future.

"Alright," Aaron announced. "Go back to your housing. I'm coming by for inspection so keep your place neat. If you have any other questions, you can ask me."

The crowd, along with me, started to meander toward the pipe where the weird reptilian creature and its Auxiliary was. Once it had taken notice of the horde, the creature sprouted out a myriad of scales from its skin, shooting chaotically and grabbing on to its victim. They all sank down in the sand with their attached scales following after.

One by one they went, and soon stray scales wrapped around my leg and pulled me downward, in such surprise, I yelped. But my yell didn't get far before my mouth was filled with grit.

✾✾

Around me, people were already packing up and tidying their area around their bed. It appeared that no sand had followed into the dorm. Everyone and even the room was free of sand.

My body felt sticky all over with sweat and the aches in my thighs throbbed. All I wanted to do was sleep, but if Aaron checked the housing before everyone went to sleep, I'd be giving a lazy outlook.

I spotted one of my classmates hunched over his bed. From where I was standing, I could only see his broad back and smooth, blonde hair. I silently cleared my throat and approached him.

"Hi," I started. "Do you know when Aaron comes around for his daily check?"

The man turned around. He looked about a couple years older than me with glassy brown eyes, so transparent they almost looked innocent. His hair didn't reach the nape of his neck but was swept casually over his forehead, exuding maturity. Contrary to his innocent eyes, his form seemed like it was made of an athletic build, strong and sturdy in the upper body instead of lean and equal throughout.

He was wearing a tight, navy turtleneck with thick silver rims, enunciating his ridges and form. In contrast, he was wearing baggy sweatpants with the same silver-colored stripes and a large belt across his waist. He was already tall, but his white platform shoes made him even taller.