Chapter 11- A Tarnished Goal

I could feel the hill flattening out, but it was too dark to see the bottom of the hill. My chest felt tight with so much decline and from running too hard. Things were swirling in front of me in dizzying spirals that I thought they were the fireflies buzzing around. I knew it couldn't have been the trees that were swaying.

I closed my eyes and felt something rough tighten against my boots and a burst of light. I tripped, feeling the earth under my back as I rolled down the rest of the hill. I don't know if I screamed or not, but I suddenly felt twigs tear through the fabric of my shirt and rip at my hair. I only saw streaks of gold from the light of my symbol.

The world spun under me, and I felt myself gasp for breath as something fell on top of me. I kept on rolling with the huge lump on top. There was no sense of direction, only to roll and keep rolling. The lump continued to bang against my side. It would leave after a couple seconds before coming back down and hitting me harder.

Then, I stopped rolling. I hit something solid and I heard a slap where my head collided with a sharp object. I yelled and the huge lump that was on top of me, slammed into me. The air was suddenly hot with sweat exploding from my forehead but I couldn't see, only black. I whimpered and felt something wet cling onto my face.

"Iridian!" A voice yelled.

I urged my head to turn to the voice but I couldn't. A scream. I pulled my body from the solid object and to the empty space behind. A bulky figure stood in front of me and I could automatically tell who it was. There was a snarl and the sound of saliva gurgling and sloshing. Mr. Hrodvitnir stood in front of me, the fur on him bristling in anticipation.

I couldn't move. I was frozen, tangled with twigs and leaves. I grabbed a rock under my hand but then Mr. Hrodvitnir was gone, suddenly standing far away from me and running away in the other direction. It was soon when I couldn't see him any longer. I collapsed back on the grass, shivering. Help me. Help me.

"Iridian!" the same voice yelled.

"Ace?" I whispered, recognizing the familiar voice.

The voice disappeared. I choked on my own spit and tilted my head up. I was instantly blinded by a bright light, pointed right at me. I squinted my eyes and forced my eyes to adjust to the light.

"Iridian," a new voice sounded. The voice seemed to be right next to me, but when I looked harder, I could see someone right in front of me.

I groaned and stared. Someone had a flashlight fixed on my face, but the person wasn't standing up but rather he was sprawled on the grass just like me, on his stomach, trying to lift his hands to hold the flashlight without trembling.

The light adjusted and I could see who the person was. It was Logan with his white collared button-up so damp with sweat that it was sticking to his skin. The light was pointed away from him so the only thing prominent was his eyes, dark brown and solemn.

Ember was behind him, cautiously gazing at me and my awkward position. She scooted closer to Logan, almost protecting him. I raised an eyebrow.

Logan, upon focusing his eyes, realized it was me and instantly threw away the flashlight to stop from blinding me. He considered me with a curious stare.

"Logan?" I asked, pushing myself from the grass. Even though everything was aching, I got into a sitting position. "What are you doing here?"

He mimicked my moves and laid down carefully with his legs out in front. He reached his hand out to me but just a shy away from my arm. "Can you move?"

I coughed, feeling a throb on my ribs. Logan wiped a hand on his shirt. A streak of brown followed in its wake.

"Do you mind helping me sit up a little?" I asked him, clutching my ribs.