Chapter Three: A Stranger To Trust

Chasity's POV

"Did you hear what I said?" I asked. Somewhere in the middle of my explanation about blood types, so called Channing had taken a mental hike. Sweet Heaven, either he was heartless or had no clue what this was doing to me.

 "I heard you." he said as he slid his hands into the pockets of his perfectly tailored tux and strolled to the window. Now was my time to escape, but while my mind screamed run, my legs said stay. "Then you no doubt understand that the king is somehow your father." He made a sound that could have no doubt meant anything and continued to stare out the window. Because I had no choice, I kept trying.

 "That's why I need to do a DNA test on the King." I felt the tears again and forced them back. I wouldn't cry. Not in front of him, anyways. Showing  weakness might make him go for me, and right now I felt way to exposed.

 "There are people who have tried to get DNA tests on him already, for money or a way to become something there not." he let me know.

 "I know, but I wish for no money, no fame. I wish for a family, a life. I need to compare the Kings DNA to mine."

 "And then what?" he fired back. I fully understood the implications for that question, and I didn't like it any better than he did.

 "I don't know. I honestly don't know, but I can't just forget what I learned. I can't walk away and pretend like this never happened. Believe me, I've tried."

 "I'll bet you have."

 "So we're back to sarcasm, aren't we?" I asked, but I didn't let it bother me. " I don't have all the answers, but this test is a way to start. We'll get the results and go from there." I waited for a moment, hoping my voice would remain steady. "If my mother were still alive, I would have just asked her who my real father is."

"And she's not. So you believe that the only way is to find out yourself." he said sounding as if he finally understood. But it was true, that was my stonewall and this was my only way to get around it. And I needed to get around it fast before another popped up. Either way it was a very hard place to get around.

"I know the complications, he doesn't have to find out and neither does anyone else. I just.." I had to take a hard breath before I could continue. " I just want to figure out some part of my life, to me, my life is a mystery."  

I braced myself for what he had to say. But he didn't say a single word. He just kept his stiff back turned to me while he looked out the window. I groaned. "Look this silent treatment is getting on my nerves. This might sound a bit cliche, but I'm not entirely sure I can handle the truth. Still, I have to know, all right? I can't go on wondering who my father is and if I will ever get to meet him."  

 He glanced over his shoulder. I thought I might have seen some sympathy in his eyes ,a sliver of it anyways, but if so, he didn't get a chance to actually voice it. There was a voice from behind me, a low one.

"Hey, Channing. Ameri said you wanted a background check on Ms. Chasity-Oh." I turned around, and to my surprise found another attractive man. He's blonde hair was messy, like he was running around trying to get answers, and his blue eyes spoke with happiness and strength. His face that was filled with shock then turned to understanding. He gave me a considering glance. And a distrustful one. The feeling was mutual. I didn't trust him either.

"Yes, Thomas?" Channing said, verifying exactly who he was.

"I've got the background check," Thomas told him.

"Read it." Thomas gave me another quick glance.

"Out loud, with her here?"

"Read it." Channing insisted, the impatience straining in his voice. Those repeated two words and the stark edginess were apparently enough for the man to spring into action.