Chapter Twenty-Three: In For The Fight

Channing's POV

I kept my attention on the kidnapper's gun. Not on Chasity. Not on the twins or the Queen. Not on the mare that was totally out of control and would likely hurt herself and the rest of us. My focus was only on the gun. I had to get it away from the kidnapper before Chasity was shot.

I ducked around the mare and raced toward Chasity. She was on the ground in a wrestling match with the kidnapper. It was a battle she was on the verge of losing. Her opponent seemed just as big and strong as she. When I made it to them, the kidnapper spun around, and the light from the overhead dangaling bulb illuminated the person's face.

It was Hayden Lattimer.

My gaze met hers, and in her eyes I could see not anger or venom but her determination not to lose this battle. She cursed, caught Chasity by her hair and got them both to their feet. Hayden also put the gun to Chasity's head. Chasity's eyes were filled with determination, too, and I knew that in an all-out battle, Chasity would find a way to win. We both would. Because's people who we care about live's were at stake.

"Stay where you are," Hayden ordered me. I froze -for the time being- and tried to figure out what to do. This situation was already out of hand. But it could easily turn deadly if I didn't handle this the right way.

"You're on Liam's payroll," I said, hoping to distract Hayden. The attempt at distration didn't work. With Chasity in tow, Hayden began to back up toward the Queen and the twins. I tried again. "You jammed the security equipment and the cell phones. You don't want Liam brought to justice because he's your real boss."

Again Hayden had no reaction other than to yell out, "Keep your hands in the air where I can see them." I did. Though I wouldn't hold that particular stance for long. I had my gun tucked into my side holster in the back waist of my pants, and I was definately going to retrieve it so I could stop this woman. Hayden volleyed glances between me and the royal family. Probably because she thought that Ameri might try something. I was almost positive that she wouldn't. Or rather, she couldn't. Ameri was in her own struggle to comfort both her sister and mother.

"You know this is a mistake," I said to Hayden. "Liam's paying you to do his dirty work, but in the end you'll be caught. You'll go to jail. And he'll walk away scot-free." I kept my voice calm and began to inch down my hands so I could go for my gun. I might as well have been talking to myself because Hayden didn't acknowledge that I'd spoken. She was focused totally on the task, and it didn't take me long to figure out what exactly that was.

Hayden made her way toward the gasoline, and she was careful about it, too. She kept herself between Chasity and the Royals. Even if I could manage to draw my gun, I wouldn't be able to fire unless Hayden moved out of position. I had to think of something fast to get her to do that.

Without taking her attention off me, Hayden used her foot to knock over the metal can. The liquid spilled onto the hay-littered floor. She was going to set the place on fire.

Chasity's eyes widened, and she shook her head. I knew we couldn't wait any longer. I dropped my arms and reached for my gun. In the same exact moment, Chasity dropped her weight and sank below Hayden. Hayden aimed at Chasity and was no doubt about to fire.

"No!" I yelled. I drew my gun.

It worked.

A little too well.

Hayden took aim at me. I dove to the side just as she pulled the trigger.