Chapter 16- These people are Strange

Joe, by now had become used to the way the Johnson's door freely flung open, all he had to do was walk into the house; after all, he was a freeman in the house now, so he thought. Now and then he recalled his first day in the Mansion, all he could was chuckle at the memory.

He swung himself on to the bed and decided to watch some TV. An hour later, a soft knock came at the door, Joe quickly went to the door and brought it to his command, he found two little kids staring at him with large innocent eyes and a large cup of smoothie with one of them.

"Hey Karen, hey George! What you guys doing here?"

"We brought this for you!".

"Thanks! It's been all while since I had a smoothie. Uh– would you like to come in?" The kids entered the room excitedly and sat on the large sofa.

"When did you guys return?"

"Few minutes ago!", Christian answered.

"So, how was school?"

"Good!" They chorused.

"Okay– ", Joe looked up at the ceiling and then back at the kids, not knowing what else to say. "Is your mum back?"

"Yeah she's downstairs!"

"Ok", he nodded. "Would you like to watch a cartoon? I saw something on Nickelodeon a minute ago".

"Yay!" So Karen and George watched the TV while Joe relaxed on his bed, before long, he was fast asleep.

He was soon awakened by a knock, Amelia Johnson welcomed herself into the room, looking angry.

"Kids! I sent you here two hours ago, go downstairs and finish your chores!" She shouted at them. The kids quickly ran out, giggling. "Oh! Hi Doctor, how was work?"

"Uh-- good, good", he nodded. "Thanks for the smoothie, it's real good. Sorry about that, they just wanted to watch some cartoons".

"Hmph! They just don't want to do anything else".

"Well I was once like that too".

"Yeah, I did that too", Amelia added and tbey both laughed.

"I hope you're enjoying your stay here?"

"Well, I'm still getting used to it".

"Good!" She paused and moved closer to Joe. "Dr Joe, finding the next path will bring you into a strange world. Believe that all you see is an illusion and you might make it through", Amelia hinted the doctor.

"What does that mean?!"

"Nothing! Just an advice!" she answered lightly with a smile and dashed out the room; like a bird.

Joe felt so confused, "These people are strange!" He whispered. He brought out his phone and spent the remaining hours of the day with it, caring less about what Amelia had said.

By 7:30pm, dinner was served for one and all. Forks, spoons and knives attacked the plates; it was like war! Mouths diced the food, while the throats swallowed hastily.

Joe always felt uncomfortable in the presence of William– he was the man of the house after all, but William could only care less about Joe and whatever he did in the house. Despite that, William was closely watching Joe, just waiting for him to make one little mistake.

If there was one thing William noticed and disliked, was his sister's interest in the Doctor; something in him just didn't want that kind of fire in his house.

Soon, they were done and some of the kids were already falling asleep while eating. The maid came to clear up the dining table and the room was evacuated.