Chapter 40- Petit Pois, Brighton

They had arrived at the restaurant at exactly 6pm. It was a lovely sight to behold just from the outside. The blue painted restaurant blended beautifully into the dusk of the evening, Viola peeked into the building through the glass windows of the restaurant. Petit Pois was boldly written above the building with white coloured letters. 

      Joe took her hand and guided her to the entrance of the restaurant with a broad smile, he opened the door for the lady and she went in first through the narrow door and Joe followed after.
          "Wow I love this place already!" she whispered into Joe's ear.
Joe chuckled and they continued to stroll along the restaurant; observing the place.

Joe instantly took note of the wooden floors; he seemed satisfied with the view as he nodded with every step. They finally found a cozy spot to sit at the far end corner of the large restaurant.

      "This is so cool Joe!"

       "Yeah it is!"

      "How did you find this place?... I guess it's one of those places you bring your other girlfriends, am I right?'' Viola teased him with a raised eyebrow.

      ''Ha ha, very funny... I found it on the the Internet silly! I've never been here before and you know I haven't been in the UK for long V, come on''.

        ''It's okay, I was just kidding! Relax my love''. Viola stroked his cheek.

Joe exhaled and adjusted himself on the his seat.

The restaurant had a rustic interior that supplied a warm and homely feeling to the customers, the brick walls were wisely decorated with art photos. The golden lights hung above the walls and the ceiling, there were green bottles holding purple colour flowers on each wooden table. There were luxury white sofas paired up with wooden tables on one side of the room and on the other side of the room there were single wooden chairs paired up with wooden tables.

Viola was really pleased with the place her man had brought her to. ''Let's order something, shall we? I can't wait to have a taste of their food!''.

''Yeah sure!'' Joe replied, he raised a hand just above his head to signify one of the waiters and within a few seconds a stunning waitress stood in front of them ready to take their order.

     ''Good evening Madam'', the lady dressed in a white T-shirt and a black pair of trousers looked over to Viola and greeted her with a single nod and a warm smile then she turned her face over to Joe.

     ''Good evening Sir, may I take your order please?'' she asked while pointing to two menus on both sides of the table— it was a black coloured hard cover one leave book strictly straightened out on the table.

     Meanwhile Viola was intrigued with the lady's French accent. She's always had a liking for the French folks and whenever she had French customers in her salon, she engaged them in long conversations.

      ''Hello o!'' Joe snapped his finger once in front of Viola's face and in an instant she was awakened from her thoughts. ''What would you like to order V?''

      ''Oh yeah— well let's see'', she lifted the menu from the table and looked carefully at the words written on it with pursed lips. ''Ummm... Ok, I'll have the... Duck Rillettes, toasted bread and Cornichons— '', she paused, chuckled and looked up at the waitress, ''Did I get that right?''

      ''You're doing fine madam!'' the lady replied as she scribbled something on the little note in her hand. ''And what about you Sir?''

Joe bent his head over to look at the menu, his eyes hovered around the words on the paper. ''Ok I'll have the um— '', he scratched his hair with uncertainty. ''I'll just have what she's having!''

        ''Ok. And for dessert?''
Joe and Viola exchanged glances at each other, they smiled and looked at the menus again.

       ''I have a feeling that this Apple tart tatin served warm with caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream would have a nice taste! What do you think V?'' he looked up at Viola again.

       ''That's ok dear... We'll have that!'' she looked up at the waitress.

       ''That's a good choice! And would you like a drink?'' The lady asked and pointed down at the menu again.

       ''Oooooh yes, let's some champagne!'' Viola exclaimed with joy in her eyes.
Joe gave a nod in approval.

       ''I hear this J.M Gollibard et fils grande reserve Premier cru brut... '', Viola struggled to read the French wordings and she chuckled at her inability to read the words fluently. ''I hear it tastes real good— '' she hesitated. ''But babe look at the price, its so expensive!''

       ''You can have whatever you'd like babe''.

     The waitress continued to scribble on her little note, ''Would that be all?''

       ''Yeah!'' They chorusedly answered with a nod.

      ''Alright, your order will be ready in a few minutes''. The lady gently but firmly retrieved the menus from their grasp and walked away.

       ''Being here makes me feel like I'm in Paris! Thanks my love— for bringing me here along with you''. Viola said to Joe and placed a warm kiss on his cheek.

      ''I guess I deserved that, didn't I?''

       ''Yes you do.... And so much more! Ever since you walked into my life you've brought me nothing but true happiness. Thank you so much for everything''.

        Joe couldn't help but smile sheepishly in reaction to what Viola had said to him.
       ''You make me happy as well!'' He raised Viola's jaw, pulled her face towards his own and kissed her softly. He pulled away, Viola blushed and lowered her eyes.

      ''Joe, people are watching!''

     ''Then let them! I'd kiss you a thousand times more in front of the whole world!''
His exaggeration made Viola give a hearty laugh.

         Just then the waitress came to their table with a large silver tray holding two plates of what they ordered. She carefully served the plates down on the table and arranged the plates at a certain angle in front of each one's side of the table.

She then placed a silver fork and knife wrapped in a soft cream colour napkin just beside the plates. Just then a waiter brought in a very chilled medium sized bottle of the Gollibard champagne— it was a green and golden coloured bottle. He set it down gently on the table just beside the flowers.

      ''Dinner is served!'' The waitress announced and bowed slightly.

        ''Thank you!'' Joe and Viola chorused in reply.
The waiters walked away.

      ''Their hospitality here is charming, I must say''.

      ''I agree!'' Joe nodded.

Firstly, Dr Joe carefully uncorked the bottle and poured out some of its contents into the two champagne glasses set in front of them.

They took a sip from the glass and their expressions said it all.

      ''I love it!'' Viola was the first to give a review.

     ''Likewise!'' Joe nodded in agreement.

They turned their attention away from the champagne, to the beautifully garnished meal on their plates after the first glass of drink had been emptied out.

      As soon as the waitress noticed that Joe and Viola were done with their meal, she rushed to the table and cleared away the plates and cutleries. Within a short moment the dessert was served!

      ''Everything's perfect! My night is going so well''. Viola exclaimed as she enjoyed her vanilla ice cream and apple tart with caramel sauce.

     ''Mine too!'' Joe agreed.