Chapter 1

"Open the door, Clarissa. I've been knocking for ages," shouted Jonathan.

Rolling my eyes, I yanked my off my headphones, silencing the heavy metal. I had stolen them around a year ago, from a mundane kid that got in the way of a mission. I had regretted it afterwards, but it turned out that his taste was pretty good. I crossed my room and opened the door. Jonathan's face was twisted into a smirk, his eyes narrowed with annoyance. I crossed my arms, leaning on the door frame.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Mother needs you in the library."

"What for?"

"Dunno. She seemed pretty worried, so I suggest you go quickly," he said, beckoning me to move.

Sighing, I peeled myself off the doorway and strode downstairs. I was still sore from yesterday's battle with a demon. Father always says to avoid getting in fights with them, as he occasionally works with them. I was going easy because of that, so the demon managed to squirt acid at me. Still, I've had worse injuries.

I knocked on the oak door. The library was my favourite part of the house, and it was filled with centuries worth of my ancestor's collections.

"Come in."

Only then I realised how weary and strained my mother looked. Her skin was creased with worry lines, and her eyes seemed hollow. She pointed to a chair opposite the desk that she was sitting at, and I sat in it.

"Are you sick? What happened? Is father in trouble?" I asked, nervous.

"No, no, none of that. You father's trip has been extended, so he won't be back for another week."

"That's all?" Father spent most of his life away from home.

"No. He sent a message ahead. For you."

I sat up, interested.

"He wants you to prepare for your first proper mission. You will leave as soon as he comes back, so he expects you to have packed and readied yourself by that time. Also, he wants you to oversee Valentina's training tomorrow."

"Of course," I smiled, "do you have a brief?"

My father - Valentine - was the leader of The Circle Of Raziel, a group that devoted themselves to ridding us of Downworlders and the Accords. He sent each member of his group on missions, and I had been waiting a long time for him to give me one. Jonathan had been on one before, but had made the mistake of sparing a Downworlder child. He was punished severely.

"Yes. You will accompany him to Alicante, along with 15 other members of The Circle. The Clave is expected to be in a small meeting, so they will be distracted when you attack. This is your chance to prove yourself to your father, and if you do well, he will consider sending you on longer, more dangerous tasks. Be careful, Clarissa. I don't want you getting hurt."

I nod. Mother was always protective over us, and hated us risking getting hurt. She barely ever left the house, and had recently becoming more and more withdrawn. I had asked her about it before, but she always denied it, saying that it was my imagination. Eventually I had given up - if something is wrong, she'll tell us when she's ready.

Excitement bubbled inside me. This was my chance to show my father that he could trust me, and that I was capable enough. I excused myself, thinking about what I would need to pack. Food, water, weapons and a spare outfit, probably. It was a simple task, so I wouldn't need much. Reaching my bedroom, I threw myself onto my bed and smiled to myself. At last, I could fight for my father and his cause. This was what I had been waiting for.

Hey guys! Hope you like my fanfic so far. I will be updating quite often so you won't have to wait too long for the next chapter. Please remember to vote and comment any feedback - good or bad xx
-C