83 ∞ A Standing Still in Time

Start from the beginning

"The report has been sent to your office and will be distributed to the appropriate agencies. I have Mrs. Levant's medical sensor data, and it is being reviewed at the hospital facility. I have also cleared your airways—permission for rapid hospital transport granted. And I would like to remind you, you forgot to activate the outside light signals."

"Oh? Thanks, Maat." Harlin hit a switch and a blue light started flashing outside below each side window, indicating military on duty.

He was flying well above ground obstructions, but still hugging the deck, Gareth noted. They were steadily accelerating until the ridge land below flowed past in a blur. Harlin eased the ship up to higher altitude, but never eased off the throttle until the tachometer digits on the controls display turned red in warning.

Gareth glanced back to check on Caitlin.

"How is she?" asked Harlin.

"I honestly don't know. She's still unconscious."

"Don't worry. Maat is monitoring her. If it were serious, he would tell us. If there was anything we could do, he would tell us. Right now, all we can do is get to the hospital as fast as possible."

There was nothing more to say, so Gareth climbed out of his chair to return to Caitlin. He paused to rest his hand on Harlin's shoulder. "Thank you. For everything."

"Don't get all mushy on me. I told you, I got your six."

Gareth nodded, headed back, and kneeled next to Caitlin. She looked so fragile. She was his entire world, and he was helpless to do anything for her. He bit down on the chaotic emotions within his heart and held onto one certainty. Taking her hand, he leaned down and whispered into her ear, "I'll be here when you wake up."

Harlin brought them in for a smooth landing on the hospital roof. No sooner than they'd touched down, both side doors flew open. Four hospital staff members climbed in from either side and shoved Gareth aside. He jumped out of the transport, assisted by two more of the staff. Caitlin was hauled out, basket and all, and set on a gurney. Then she was rolled off, leaving Gareth and Harlin to follow.

Gareth kept pace with the group, but inside, a hand stopped him from getting on the elevator with them.

"You'll have to meet us on floor sixty-seven, sir. We'll take good care of her," one of the staff said to him.

Gareth glanced over her shoulder to see an IV being put into Caitlin's arm. Another member removed the sensors and replaced them with new ones as the elevator doors closed.

A pat on his shoulder from behind made him turn his head. Harlin pointed at the next elevator. The doors opened as if by the whim of Harlin's gesture. They both stepped inside.

"Thanks, Maat," said Harlin after the doors closed behind them.

"Glad to help," Maat's voice responded from the speakers above.

"Any news?"

"Mrs. Levant has a thyroid hormone imbalance and degenerative Myelin condition. She is being stabilized at this moment."

Harlin cocked his head. "My Ellen what?"

"Myelin is a lipid-rich material that coats and surrounds the nerve cell axion, thus insulating the nerve and assisting electrical transfer of signals."

"Like insulation on an electrical wire?"

"A fair example, yes. Mrs. Levant's electrical wiring is suffering a deterioration of its insulation."