Chapter 4

After the meal I was sat on the sofa reading, with my legs across Loki's lap, who was also reading.

"Lola?" I looked up from my book to see all the mortals sat around looking at me.

"Yes?"

"Have you got any other stories from your trips on earth?" A boy with silver hair asked. The aura of his abilities was vaguely familiar. Another thing I shall have to ask Loki about.

"I do." I put my book down, with a small smile, and turned to face them all.

"I was in Egypt. First time on Midgard alone, i was not sure of the year, it was around 1013 A.D. There were these odd building like objects floating down from the sky. They landed and doors opened, revealing odd creatures. Obviously, the Midgardians saw this 'invasion', as they put it, and readied their weapons. The creatures were slaughtered, and the mortals started examining the ships. I am not sure what happened after that, but i know for certain that today the ships have been called, 'The Pyramids of Giza'. In your years, i was around 10-11 years old. I went back home after that."

"I knew it!" The kid yelled. "Aliens landed the Pyramids! I knew it!" He jumped up and ran out the room. We heard a thud, and a slight groan.

"Is he alright?" I questioned.

"He will be." Nat assured me.

I lifted my feet back into Loki's lap and resumed my reading.

..........

I snapped out of my reading trans by Loki placing his hand infront of my book. "If you don't move your hand, I will break it." I threatened as I looked up at him.

"It's late, you should get some rest. It's been a long day." He ignored my comment. I sighed and stood up. We started walking down the corridor, I was still reading when I stopped infront of my door. I turned and said goodnight to Loki, before opening the door and sitting on my bed.

I read the rest of the book and placed it back on the shelf before shimmering into some nightwear and covering myself with the silk sheets.

..........

I woke up the next morning feeling sick. My body isn't used to the Midgardian heat yet, and apparently it makes you ill.
There was a knock at the door. "Come in." I croacked.

"Lola?" Loki's voice sounded in my room. I heard his footsteps get closer to the bed. He placed his hand on my forehead. "You're burning up."

"It's my body trying to get used to the Midgardian heat. I've placed spells on the room, but there's only so much that can do. I just have to wait until I have adjusted." I managed to say.

"It wasn't like this for me." He said with a quizzical tone.

"You grew up on Asgard. It's warm there. You would have went through this as an infant, hence not remembering. Asgard and Midgard are around the same in temperature. I, however, grew up on Jotunheim, where its cold. Its a Jotuns natural temperature. Take them away, and they struggle with adjusting. It will take around a day and a half." I whispered.

"I'll be alright. I just need time." I whimpered as I curled up into a ball. I soon fell asleep, once more.

..........

I woke up again hours later.

I looked to my left and saw Loki sitting in an armchair reading. "You didn't have to stay, you know." I whispered.

His gaze snapped from his book to me, slightly startled. "None of the mortals know how to care for a fever such as this one." He smirked, knowing that he was better then the others at something.

I softly chuckled. "Are you feeling any better?" He asked.

"A little. I'll be fine by tomorrow morning. What time is it?"

"Four in the evening."

"I need food." I muttered as I slowly sat up and moved the sheets off of me. I stood up and walked towards the door. Loki followed and he shut it behind him.

Loki's Pov

I heard a voice from my right. Lola has woken up.

"You didn't have to stay, you know." She quietly said to me. I was slightly startled and looked towards her.

"None of the mortals know how to care for a fever such as this one." I smirked, knowing I can finally say I'm better than Thor at something. She quietly chuckled. "Are you feeling any better?" I added.

"A little." She replied "I'll be fine by tomorrow morning. What time is it?"

"Four in the evening." I answered.

"I need food." She muttered as she pushed the sheets off of her body and slowly sat up.

Only now could I see how ill she looked. Her pale skin was now nearing paper white in colour, and she was covered in a cool, clammy sweat, while her body was fighting to keep her illusion up.

She stood up and walked towards the door, and I followed. I shut her door behind me, and walked with her to the kitchen.

She looked through the cupboards and heavily sighed when she couldn't find anything she recognises.

"Go back to your room, I'll make something." I assured her in a soft voice. She mumbled what I can only assume was a 'thank you' before dragging herself back down the corridor.

I summoned what ingredients I needed and started working on a recipe my mother had made. It was a type of soup that she would made whenever Thor and I fell ill. It also consisted of healing properties.

Around fifteen minutes later, I found myself walking back to Lola's chambers with the soup, some buttered bread, and a cup of tea on a tray.

I used magic to open the door. I swiftly made my way over to her bed and gently set the tray on her covered lap. She softly smiled and muttered something I couldn't quite understand.

"Pardon?" I said, asking if she could repeat it.

"My mother, your biological mother, used to make this everytime I fell ill. She told me it was her sisters recipe." She smiled fondly as memories resurfaced.

"What happened to her?" I softly asked.

"She died during childbirth. We would have had a little brother had he not been stillborn. She was Asgardian. Her body could not handle the birth of three half Frost-giant children. She went into premature labour. Atleast, that's what we had thought. It was a miscarriage in her third trimester." A tear slipped down her cheek.

"I'm sorry."

"You would have liked her." She smiled. "I got all my little tricks from her. She was more like a best friend, at times. She would tell me stories of her childhood, how she was raised by witches, and they taught her and her sister sorcery. I never met her sister, though from what I was told she was almost as bad as my mother." She huffed a small laugh at the end.

"She looked alot like us. Green eyes, sculpted facial features. Instead of black, her hair was honey blonde, and curly. She sealed of the temple with her magic. She was too afraid that I would be taken, too." She was slowly eating her soup, one small mouthful at a time.

"You were not left in the temple out of carelessness. The temple was the safest place to keep the children during the war with the fire giants. You were the last one there because both our parents had to run checks on the civilians, ensuring there were no casualties left, and fixing the destroyed buildings." She turned to face me. "You were not abandoned, Loki. They were coming back for you."

A/n- Abit of a filler chapter today. Are any of you making connections with their birth mother? The story sounds abit familiar, does it not? If you have figured it out, simply say 'yes', and dont ruin it for other people. As always, vote and comment what you think, I love reading them. I'm working as fast as I can on this story, but updates might be slightly slow. I am also aware of the fact that he pyramids of giza are much older than that, but for the sake of the story, just roll with it.

Till next time,

Xo
-Kat