Lam

I ended up rushing home to get my clothes before coming back. But that rush was so worth it when I saw the smile on his face.

I guess I am screwed when it came to Phana huh?

As I rode off the following morning, I looked up and saw him at the balcony. I couldn't deny that seeing him wave me off did make me feel good.

This feeling of having someone to look out for you and also to look after made me feel so happy. Like it's an indescribable feeling. Was this how Forth felt?

Monday came by and so did the weekday madness. But I remembered to text Phana before classes and I whipped out my phone to look at replies during my breaks. For the first time, I kept using my phone to reply messages rather than just play games. I caught Forth and Park looking at me oddly during lunch.

"What is it?" I growled softly.

"Nothing. Why do you keep smiling at your phone? Didn't realise the game was that funny."

"Smiling? I wasn't."

"Lam. Really? We been watching you for 30 minutes now. You haven't stopped smiling!"

My face blushed when I was caught like that. I just kept quiet. Forth and Park decided to gang up to tease me when suddenly Kit came running.

"Problem. Fai. Yo. Pha. They are..
Fighting."

"What?!" I stood up and followed Kit out. Forth and Park followed closely behind. I could see them fighting at the soccer field; mainly Fai and Yo but Phana appeared to be in the middle of it.

"Phana. Phana. Pha!" I yelled. Pha turned around and saw me. He wanted to walk over to me when Yo held onto his hand and Fai screamed even more. I went over instead.

"What's happening? Fai stop it. Why are you so angry?"

"Wouldn't you be if your fiance dumped you for his gay sidekick?"

"Fai. Watch it. Watch your words. Pha isn't any sidekick. He was dating Yo. He didn't know Yo was engaged."

"Now he knows. He should stay away. Why still meet my fiance for lunch?"

"What is wrong with you? I already told you I didn't. Your stupid fiance came to see me instead at the Medical canteen where he was still ignored. Jsut because he followed me doesn't mean we met for lunch."

"Stop lying P Pha. I know you can't let go of Yo. He told me before. He said you wanted him to cut me and his dad off. You even threatened to out him if he didn't. He told me everything."

Pha just stared at Yo in disgust and anger. I couldn't take it. I stepped up and punched Yo in the face. Fai screamed and Pha gasped. I thought Pha would scold me. But oddly he didn't.  I wanted to throw a 2nd punch but he stopped me.

"No. Don't get hurt or waste your energy over him. He's not worth it."

Pha uttered softly. I looked at him. He then took my hand and pulled me away. I could hear Fai screaming in exasperation. I turned and all I saw was a chilling look in Yo's eyes. I gripped Pha's hands harder when I saw that. I didn't want anything happening to Pha but looking at Yo, I worried.

Once we got to the Engineering canteen, Pha finally let go of my hands. To give credit to the boys, they all disappeared giving us the privacy.

"Lam. Earlier. Thank you."

"It's all right Pha. It's the least I can do."

"For a friend?"

"For a......" then I stopped, not wanting to complete the sentence. Pha just smiled st me, bade goodbye and left.

Not sure if it was the right thing but his smile stayed so I guess I was all good? But I also knew, saying that I did it for a friend didn't seem right. It didn't seem honest.

Pha wasn't quite a friend to me. He was definitely something more. Someone more important to me.