Enigma and Ethereal

Depuis le début

Feeling strangely weak and vulnerable, Riva struggled to think, to protest...but she had lost her ability to speak logically. Even under the dense shade of the tree, she felt her cheeks warming, as she simply stared at him, eyes wide open and astounded, her heart beating deafeningly.

" So are you in or not?" Vikram said, huskily. A sweet floral smell engulfed him as he came close to her. Her delicate brows scrunched in thought and her gorgeous hazel eyes refused to meet his.

" Fine, whatever," Riva said nervously, her fingers finding the cool metal dial of her watch " Library at lunchtime. Got it."

She didn't glance once at him as she hurriedly stalked towards the science wing. She reached her class, sat down on the first empty chair she saw and hid behind a pile of books, so nobody sees her rose-tinted cheeks.

                                                                                                *

"For the last time, you're not good enough for the club." Vikram said, dismissively.

Soha pouted and followed him as he inspected a shelf of books in the huge library. Everybody academically acclaimed or popular were members in his club. It was rather humiliating that she was not, although it was her brother in-charge. And then she learnt that a new girl was admitted yesterday, and renewed her efforts to appease Vikram.

" You're not being fair." Soha said, accusingly, " You're rejecting me for your own personal vendetta!"

Vikram said tonelessly, " That's not true. You simply don't have enough brain cells for doing intellectual things."

He gave up his pursuit and sat with the rest of the members of the club.They paused their conversations, and gave him expectant looks, waiting eagerly for the meeting to start.There were only eight familiar faces, the newest member was missing.

" You shouldn't be here, Soha." Vikram warned irritably.

It was already seven minutes since the bell rung. He was brooding that Riva hadn't shown up yet. He didn't want to chide her about punctuality and discipline on the first day. But her tardiness was making him angrier by the minute.Soha tailing him and getting on his nerves wasn't helping either.

" You allowed a new member to join, didn't you?" Soha said pointedly, " Where is she? How can you reject me when I'm on time and she's nowhere to be found? Isn't that biased?"

Vikram's dark eyes seared with unlimited hostility, and he opened his mouth to answer, but the library door opened timely, interrupting him.

Riva entered the room with Professor Malkani, who was chatting amiably with Riva as she carried the huge pile of books the professor was going to return to the library. Riva smiled politely as she deposited them on the librarian's desk with a loud thud.

"It's rather pleasing that you've decided to join the debate club." Professor Malkani said, smiling at Vikram, then turning to look at her, " I hope you'll add to the debate team!"

Riva struggled to form an answer, it was the Professor's fault that she's here! The last thing she wanted was Vikram's attention! But she couldn't reject the club in front of him...so...

" You're very helpful, sir." Riva said, veiling her sarcasm.

Professor Malkani was overly pleased after helping a valuable student settle down and make new friends, and failed to hear the Riva's sardonic tone. He left the library grinning amiably and having  immense satisfaction of being a great teacher.

" You must be a serious teacher's pet." Vikram said, dumbfounded.

" No way," Riva said, indignantly, " I think he was ensuring I would come here."