Chapter 17

BRAD’S POV

I left the park after Whitney showed up and headed for April’s house to pick up Maddie. I knocked on the door and April held a frown when she appeared.

“What’s wrong with you?” I asked.

“Why did you tell Maddie I wasn’t her real mother?!” she screamed at me.

Damn, Maddie told her. “Look, it was an accident. She overheard me when I told her that I only deal with you because she believes you’re her mom.”

April shoves me a bit off her porch. “You knew she was in the house and you were yelling! I bet the whole neighborhood heard you! I can’t believe you. Did you tell her Whitney is her real mother?”

Please don’t tell me that she did. No, why would she ask me if I told her if she did.

“No, I don’t want her to know about Whitney until she was eighteen.”

“Well, now she’s determined to know who her real mother is. You really think she’ll wait eight years?”

“She has no choice. Now can you get her for me?”

April folded her arms across her chest. “She’s sleep. She cried herself to sleep. Why don’t you just let her spend the night and I’ll take her to school in the morning.”

I sigh. “Fine. I’ll talk to you later.”

I turn and head to my car. When I get inside I immediately think of ways to make all this up to my baby.

APRIL’S POV

As soon as Brad’s car was out of sight I ran inside my house and called Hilary. She answered right away.

“Hilary, I wanted to return that check you gave me. Could you come over?”

“Really? Why the change of heart?” she asks.

“I talked with Brad and he made me realize it was a mistake to take money from you.”

“Okay, I’ll be there in twenty minutes.”

“Oh, Hilary!” I exclaim before she hangs up. “Bring Whitney with you.”

She agrees and we disconnect. I then rush to Maddie’s room and walk in on her and Benji playing. She looks up at me with a large smile.

“Do you want to play with us?” she asks me.

I shake my head no. “Baby, come here. I need to tell you something.”

She gets up off the floor and I pull her aside. “Is something wrong?” she asks me.