Chapter 10

WHITNEY’S POV

I walked back into Healthy Pets less than fifteen minutes after leaving. Sam asks me why I’m back so early. I don’t answer him; instead I go into the back and walk to the two vending machines, one that was filled with snacks, the other with drinks.

I purchase a bag of chips and a diet coke and I jump when I feel a hand on my shoulder. I turn to see Sam standing next to me.

“Didn’t mean to scare you.” he says while he removes his hand from my shoulder.

I wave it off and bend to get my chips and soda. From the corner of my eye I notice Sam looking at me suspiciously.

“I thought your fiancée took you out for lunch. Didn’t you guys eat?”

I still don’t answer him. He takes my hand and pulls me to the front.

“Paige, close down for about an hour. Go ahead and take your lunch.”

We weren’t busy so it justified him closing for an hour. Sam drags me outside to his car and unlocks the door to his Toyota Tundra.

“Get in.” he says as he opens his door and gets behind the wheel.

I sigh and get into the passenger seat. Sam drives off and I eat my chips and drink the soda during the drive. We pull into the parking lot in front of a Japanese restaurant. We go inside and seat at the bar. I notice one of the chefs cooking a meal in front of two customers.

“So, do you want to tell me what’s wrong?” Sam asks as he glances over the menu.

I still don’t say anything. A waitress comes over and asks for our order. I am surprised when Sam starts talking Japanese to the woman. She smiles at him and writes on her pad. She walks away and I smile at Sam.

“I didn’t know you spoke Japanese!”

He smiles. “Well, at least that got you talking.”

He leans into me and whispers in my ear, speaking Japanese.

“What did you say?” I ask when he pulls away.

“I said, ‘pretty women like yourself should always be smiling’.”

I try to hide my smile and he repeats what he whispered to me a little louder. I just laughed at him.

“So, what’s going on Whitney? You can talk to me.”

I sigh. “Have you ever heard; keep your home life at home? No offense but we barely know each other so I don’t feel comfortable talking to you about what has me so sad because it is very personal.”

He nods. “Fair enough. Well, let’s enjoy this lunch and I don’t want you looking that sad ever again.”