Chapter 5

PRESENT (BRAD’S POV)

“Daddy, we have to get the medicine for Maxus.”

I look in the backseat of my car and see our St. Bernard licking all over my daughter’s face. She giggles while hugging the dog I got for her about two years ago.

“Okay baby, but I have to drop you off at Ms. April’s house first and I’ll get the medicine.”

“Okay.” she giggles around Maxus’s affections.

I just smile and head to my ex-girlfriend April’s house. April had actually adopted Maddie when she was about three months old and when I found her when she was two, April felt really bad for me when I told her my story. She didn’t fight with me for custody as long as I promised to let her stay in Maddie’s life.

I agreed and we actually dated for four years before April decided to get back together with an old flame four years ago. She and the dude are married now and they both love Maddie so I’m not bitter or angry…anymore.

I pull into April’s driveway and she quickly jumps out the backseat with Maxus following. I had called April during the drive over so she was waiting for Maddie at the door. Maddie jumped in her arms and Maxus ran into the house behind April.

I hear April tell Maddie to go in the house as I get out the car and approach her. She smiles at me when we are face to face. I dance my eyes over her pretty face and she moves her honey blonde hair over her bronzed shoulder.

“How you been Brad?”

“Good. Thanks for watching Maddie for me. I’ll only be gone about an hour or so.” I tell her.

She nods. “It’s no problem. You know Wayne and I are getting divorced.”

Her words shock me. “Seriously? Damn, I’m sorry to hear that.”

She waves it off. “I should’ve known better than to think he was truly changed anyway. I guess I’m a true believer that karma is a bitch.”

She was referring to how she broke my heart and stepped on it. I refused to date after our break-up because she was the second woman to make me fall in love with her, only to leave me hurt in the end. There won’t be a third.

“I’ll be back for Maddie and Maxus soon.” I say and turn to head back to my car. I stop when April calls out to me and I turn to face her.

“My mom has been asking if Maddie can spend the weekend with her. Maybe you should take her up on the offer and maybe you could come over so we could talk.”

I give her a warm smile. “Of course your mom can have Maddie next weekend. But as far as you and I go, we have nothing to talk about.”

I get into my car before she can protest. I drive to the nearest pharmacy, which happens to be inside Publix and I put in the prescription for the medicine Maxus will need to get better.