01. one

JOANNA exited her hotel bedroom just as the door of room in front of theirs shut closed. For a brief second her body shut down, thinking it was her ex in front of her. The guy was as tall as Giuliano, but it couldn't be him. What were the odds that they'd both be in St. Julian's, Malta at the same time. In the same hotel. On the same floor. Across from one another.

'Heb je een spook gezien of zo,' Nisrine asked as she followed Joanna into the hallway.

'I thought I saw someone I went to school with, but false alarm,' Joanna mumbled, thinking to herself that she needed to get drunk as fast as possible.

'Putain, I can't find my fan, I think I left it in the room,' Nisrine said, digging through her beach bag. 'Go find a spot in the sun, I'll join you.'

'I'm gonna buy some water first, and I'll wait for you in the lobby.' Nisrine didn't go anywhere without her fan, but still forgot it every time they left their room.

'À l'aise.'

On her way down, Joanna captured a few pictures of her beach look, even if she wouldn't post them anytime soon. With her mental health dwindling, Joanna decided to stop posting her life online for a while and deleted her accounts without thinking it through. Though she didn't regret it, she loved everything around posting online, so she still sent pictures to her closest friends.

Joanna, 11:21 7 attachments

Joanna, 11:32 2 attachments

Lauren Ndombasi loved 7 attachments

Lauren Ndombasi, 11:34 GIRLLL YOU LOOK SO GOODDDD

Lauren Ndombasi, 11:34 I SHOULD BE GOING TO THE BEACH RN TOO WTH 😩

Lauren's message stole a giggle from Joanna, but before she could respond, her brother chimed in to ruin the mood.

Giovanni Fonte, 11:35, Wtf are you wearing

Giovanni Fonte, 11:35, Loopt anders naakt rond

Lauren Ndombasi 11:35, Sent a video look at this shite weather this is so unfair 😭💔

You disliked "Loopt anders naakt rond"

Lauren disliked "Loopt anders naakt rond"

Lauren Ndombasi, 11:37, BOOOOOO

Lauren Ndombasi, 11:37, giovanni stop being a hater her fit is fire

Theo Ndombasi, 11:37, No Giovanni's right wtf are you wearing Joanna

Emir BG De Bx, 11:37, PTDRRRRRRRRRR

Emir BG De Bx, 11:38, la fille elle veut juste profiter de ses vacances vous venez plomber l'ambiance wesh 💀

Joanna, 11:38, DAAROMMMMM

Joanna threw her phone back in her bag, shaking her head as she crossed the street to the corner shop facing their hotel. Her outfit was nothing to have such reactions about, a green baby tee with a linen mini skort. After successfully buying two large bottles of water, Joanna sat down in the lobby just as Nisrine exited the elevator.

'I met these guys from Antwerp upstairs, they're staying in the room in across from of ours.'

'Are they cute?'

'I just saw two of them and the two I saw we're nice to look at, I won't lie. One Asian guy and a Burundian guy, the Burundian guy looks like your type.' Joanna didn't mean to, but she made a face at Nisrine's last comment. 'Every guy you entertain doesn't have to be Congolese or Angolan, you know.'

'That's not why I made a face-,' Nisrine cut her off with an eye roll, making the link with the fact that Joanna still wasn't over Giuliano.

'They wanted us to meet with the rest of their friends at the club tonight.'

'Fine by me, I was just thinking I need to get wasted anyway.'

'You're already drunk,' Nisrine exclaimed with a laugh, looping her arm through Joanna's when she got up. Joanna had had three Mimosas and some other cocktail at brunch, but she was still a lightweight.

'I need to get wasted,' Joanna repeated definitively.