Chapter 65

Gabrielle's POV (Alee's mom):

Nothing beats a beautiful, warm Sunday morning. The neighbors are still asleep, the sun is vibrant, and the birds conversing fill me up with serenity. When I was pregnant with Alee, I was constantly exhausted and wanting to sleep or sit, but with these two, I'm continuously running around trying to find something to do. It seems that with each trimester, I'm becoming more and more energized but I'm honestly not complaining. So much has been done these passed few weeks and I'm very happy with how steady my world is remaining.

It's almost noon and everyone's still asleep. Alan had a long day yesterday grading all of those essay's, and Alee must have had too much fun with her friend since this is the longest she has ever slept in. I'm glad she's going out more with her friends and being a regular teenager. She doesn't tell me about how hectic her relationship is but I've figured it out. I know when my own child is stressed and feeling discomfort, but I guess it's partially my fault for not putting more effort into relieving it. She's such a strong young woman, like me of course, and I know she's capable of breaking whatever barrier is blocking her path to 'normality', as she would put it.

But I'm more worried for Harry. His mother left him, his father passed, and he's living alone. Who's making him dinner every night or calling to check up on him? How is he affording food and keeping up with all of the bills? It baffles me that Anne left him behind, she should have took him with her. Bad parenting at it's best.

Speaking of the Devil...

I quickly slip the slices of bread in the toaster and answer Anne's Face Time call. I don't remember the last time we actually did this.

"Hi, Anne," I sit my phone up against the vase on the table and continue my work, "how are you?"

"Hello, darling! I'm great, how are you? Are you making lunch?"

"I'm well, and yes! Everyone will be up soon and I know they'll be hungry." I laugh picturing Alee and Alan racing each other into the kitchen.

"That's lovely! How's Alee? I miss the little thing." She smiles to herself.

"She's doing great. We had a girls day out yesterday and spent some time together. It's crazy how much she takes after me." It's true. I see my seventeen year old self in her and it almost brought me to tears yesterday. The way she smiles, walks, her humor; she's like my twin.

"I love doing that will Amilia. She's only five but has the mind of a genius. She's very picky but knows exactly what she wants." Her fond words brightens her smile and I mirror it. She looks so tired and unlike herself. I would ask, but I don't want to pry.

"She is a smart girl," I agree, "how's London?" I ask grabbing the toast as it jumps out of the slots, and put two on each plate to prepare the sandwiches.

"Very good, the heat is a bit overwhelming but I'm very happy. I've missed everythin-" She stops and looks to her side as I attentively watch, and Harry emerges from behind the camera and bends down.

"Hi, Mrs. Core. How are you?" I didn't know he had that many tattoo's. Is that a butterfly?

"Well hello, Mr. Styles! I'm great, how are you dear?"

"Very well, thank you. How are the babies? Are they causing you any trouble?" The sweet boy asks taking his mothers seat while she stands to prepare him something to drink. You kind of forget the small things about someone when you don't see them for a week or so, and I can't tell if his hair has always been that long or if it's just my imagination.

"Nope, they're calm as a wave," I say and he laughs, "are you behaving over there? I would hope you're helping your mom cook and clean." I tease him and he nods proudly.