6: The Base

Steve looked at Bucky teary eyed. He couldn't believe that Tommo was gone. He was always the strongest out of all of them but he was known to be reckless. He always wanted to help those in need and stuck up for them. Bucky looked like his soul was shattered. Of course it would hit him harder than it did Steve. He had lost his twin brother. They did everything together.

"He did it for me," Bucky said softly. Steve just stared at his friend, hoping that he would continue. "Schmidt came in asking for me but Tommo - he - he said that he was me and he got taken away. We overheard Schmidt asking for one of us to, well, kill; and the doctor said to take me because Tommo showed more promise. Whatever that meant. And just before he left he gave me his tags that had blood on them from the fight before this."

Steve was shocked at what Bucky had said. Tommo gave his life to save Bucky even though he didn't know what would happen to him after. He didn't even know if Bucky was gonna live after but he did it anyway. He was always like that. Kind hearted.

After a while, the alarm sounded again, causing the men to come to their senses and run out of the room. Bucky was still wobbly on his feet but he managed to keep up with the new and improved Steve. They ran through the corridor that Steve had seen that small man run through and they ended up by a banister with explosions going off beneath them. Steve looked around and saw some stairs leading up and he went up them with Bucky close behind. At the top they made their way along the metal beneath them until they heard a loud voice over the explosions.

"Captain America! How exciting! I'm a great fan of your films!"

Bucky knew that voice. That voice belonged to the man they were sent out to get. The man that took Tommo away.

Steve looked down at Bucky before looking back at the two men stood before them. He chose to ignore the look of anger on Bucky's face for now.

The men made their way closer to the soldiers on the walkway. Bucky stayed behind while Steve met the taller of the two men in the middle.

The man began to talk again in his strong German accent and he mentioned Dr Erskine. Steve lashed out at the man, punching him in his face. He stumbled back before punching at Steve but his punch collided with his shield. It made a dent in it and Steve saw how strong he really was.

Steve reached for his gun. Schmidt anticipated this and punched Steve back causing his gun to slide off the edge.

Still on the ground, Steve kicked the man backwards and he stood up. Suddenly the metal bridge started to separate leaving a gap between the four men. Steve and Bucky on one side, Zola and Schmidt on the other.

"No matter what lies Erksine told you, I am still his greatest success!" As he said this, Schmidt removed his skin from his face, leaving a red coloured skull where his face should be.

"You don't have one of those do you?" Bucky asked Steve concerned.

The German began to speak again but he threw his face into the fire below and him and Zola made thier way into an elevator. Steve called out to him but there was no response.

Another explosion sounded and the soldiers made their way up to an exit.

"Sir? Are we going to the roof?" Zola asked Schmidt inside the elevator. When the door opened, there was a rocket looking plane at the end of the runway.

"But sir, where will I sit?"

Schmidt handed Zola keys and said, "Not a scratch doctor, not a scratch. Oh and while your going there, get that American boy from lockup. I had no time to get rid off him. He may be useful after all." And at that Schmidt got into the plane and Zola made his way down to get Tommo as instructed.

He stepped out of the elevator and walked towards the room where they would normally kill the prisoners. He opened the door and looked inside. There lay an unconscious, yet still alive, Tommo Barnes.

Zola looked around for something he could use to lift and carry this man as his 5'4 stature wouldn't be able to carry this 6'2 dead weight.

After looking around, he found a wheelbarrow that was used to take away dead bodies from that room. He got Tommo off the ground, loaded him into it and rushed off to the car.

Zola shoved Tommo into the trunk and drove away just a few seconds before the rest of the building blew up and collapsed.

-----------------------------

A/N

Sorry it's a short one today. I've been busy and I have had like zero motivation. :)