2: Birthday

A/N

Tom Selleck
as

Tom Selleck as

Mr R. Jonson

Julie Walters
as

Winnifred Barnes------------------------------

Winnifred Barnes
------------------------------

Brooklyn, 4th July 1933

It's Steve's 15 birthday today and he was over the moon. He had received gifts from Bucky, Tommo, Winnifred Barnes and even Rebecca! Tommo gave him a bottle of bourbon and a flask and his mother smacked him across the head for that. Bucky gave him a photo of the 3 of them together laughing and under it he wrote "THE BROOKLYN BOYS". Winnifred gave him a box of freshly baked cookies that she had to hide from the kids. But Rebecca had given him the best gift of all. A record player and a song along with it. Run Rabbit, Run Rabbit, Run Run Run. That was a song from his early childhood that he held close to heart. His mother used to sing it to him before she passed.

Steve just couldn't believe that Rebecca had given him a gift.

As a birthday treat, the boys didn't go to school. They spent their day walking around Brooklyn. They even went to the Brooklyn Bridge and threw stones into the water below. Tommo said that they should go swimming in the river so they climbed down and jumped in. Bucky held Tommo's head under the water and Steve had to break them apart. They were doing flips and jumps into the water from a ledge until they had to start heading their way back home.

Along the way back Tommo spotted a baseball bat and ball on the side of the street. Tommo loved baseball and so did Bucky so he picked up the bat and tossed the ball over to Bucky.

Bucky threw the ball and Tommo hit it with as much power as he could.

Oh god. Steve thought to himself.

"Run!" Tommo yelled.

He had hit the ball too far and it had smashed through someone's window. He started sprinting for his life when he saw a man come through the door and chase after him. He had the bat so obviously he was the one getting chased. Realizing that he threw the bat away as he turned a corner. It didn't help him one bit. Why would it work? He's already seen you c'mon Tommo think, he said to himself.

The man caught up with him not too long after and hit him in the nose causing it to immediately bleed. Great it's broken!

Tommo got up and looked at the man. He quickly realized who it was. The man seemed to realize too.

"You're that Barnes boy who took my daughter out on a date a few days ago aren't you!?" MJ's Father screamed.

"No sir. That wasn't me. You must be mistaken," Tommo lied.

"Oh so it must be the other one then!" He yelled looking around him.

"No it wasn't him either sir."

"You lying scumbag! It was you wasn't it. I cant have my daughter dating a criminal."

"Im not a criminal though?" Tommo said confused.

"Oh you will be. Im taking you to the station!"
------------------------------

Bucky had taken Steve home and had wished him a happy birthday as he began walking back to his own place. Tommo's probably already there. He tried to convince himself although he wasnt sure.

He decided to run back home and he weaved between alleyways and people walking along the path.

He stepped through the door and was immediatley hit by Becca.

"Where have you been. You've been gone for hours. And wheres Tommo!?"

"Sorry we didnt realise the time and I dont know where he is." Bucky said truthfully.

"What do you mean you dont know where he is!"

Bucky told her the whole story about how he hit a ball through some guys window and was then chased down by him.

Becca sighed at her older brothers foolishness and thanked god that she wasnt like him.

A few moments later there was a knock on the door and Winifred went to open it. There stood Tommo with dried blood smudged across his face and a policeman beside him.

"Are you Winifred Barnes?" the policeman asked, looking down at his notepad.

"Yes I am. Im his mother. Whats he done now?"

"He was brought to us by a Mr R. Jonson. Your son has caused damage to his house and ran off. Ive given him a warning and one more time and hes going to court. Mr Jonson has agreed to not press charges on the condition that George has no contact with his daughter. That will be all m'am." He shoved Tommo inside as he walked off to his car.

"George Thomas Barnes Jr!" Winifred yelled. "You are in massive trouble young man!"

Tommo said defensivly, "I didnt mean to Ma, i-" but he was cut of by his mother.

"Your sister's gonna clean you up and we will discuss your punishment in the morning!"

"Unlucky mate," Buck grinned.

"Oh, I cannot believe you Tommo." Becca sighed as she dragged him to the bathroom.

"I hate you." Tommo murmerd. Aimed at no-one in particular.

After Becca had cleaned him off, he walked to his and Bucky's shared room and slumped on his bed. What a day. But how's that fair that I cant see MJ anymore. I hate her dad. It doesnt matter, Ill find a way anyway.

At that he drifted away thinking about how he was gonna se Mj again and about what punishment his mother will give him.

------------------------------
A/N
This will be the end of the childhood part of the book but there will be flashbacks to different parts of the characters lives.

CATFA is next.