Chapter nine: Bones Scattered in the Garden

Start from the beginning

Stringy blue tears slid down Errō's face, their hands shook as they held onto the Cat. "I-" They shuddered, holding back a sob. "I don't--it's not okay..." They cried. They pushed Cat out of their lap and doubled over, holding their head in their hands as they bawled. They shook their head, gasping harshly. "I failed them..." They mumbled. "How could I ever be forgiven?"

Cat yowled as they pushed it off, its tail thrashing madly at the interruption. It walked over to the other side of Errō and sat down, curling its tail perfectly around its paws.

--

Cross heaved a sigh, slumping into the uncomfortable wooden chair. He tapped his fingers against the table he was handcuffed to. Gods, he was bored. When is Dream going to get his fancy butt in here and question him already?! He looked up at the ceiling and his neck popped; he tilted his head back and blew raspberries at the door.

"Ughhaa...Dreaaam! Get your fancy ass in here already!" He yelled, knowing well enough that he couldn't be heard. "Haven't you kept me waiting long enough!?"

Cross jumped as the door suddenly slammed open, and he in return slammed his palms on the table. "Well hello, Dream! Glad you could finally join me!"

Dream said nothing to him, he simply shut the door and sat down in the chair opposite to him. He placed a file on the table. "Take a look at that for me."

"Wow, not bothering with the formalities today, huh? No, 'how are you today-'."

"Cross!" Dream snapped, smacking the table with his palm. "Look at the file, please." He demanded through gritted teeth.

Cross rolled his eyes, looking surprised at the sudden flash of anger in the usually calm and collected Dream. "Jeeze, okay, okay..." He huffed. Cross grabbed the yellowish file in his hands and opened it. After reading for a moment he looked back up to Dream, confused. "I...don't get it."

"You don't recognize the person in this photo?" Dream asked, pointing at the picture of the human who looked eerily like Error.

"No."

Dream's eyebrows furrowed together tightly, he narrowed his eyes. "Turn to the last page." He instructed.

"What is this about--"

"JUST--do it! Please." Dream exclaimed before lowering his voice and breathing out through his nose.

"Just answer the question! I can't give you answers unless you tell me what you want to know!" Cross yelled back, his hands gripping the papers tightly.

"Your questions will be answered as soon as you look at that last page!" Dream argued back, growing more and more frustrated. "Is that so difficult for you to do!?" He leered.

Cross was silent, shaking with anger as he stared back at Dream. Out of all the interviews with Dream, he never recalled a moment where Dream yelled, much less raised his voice, so this was probably serious. He relented and turned to the last page of the file. He froze before his eyes darted back up to Dream, who was sitting back in his chair, calm now. Waiting patiently for his response. "What...what the hell is this?" He asked, his voice shaky.

"You tell me."

"I don't know! You can't just thrust information like this into my face and expect me to understand!" Cross stammered. "I don't know anything about this person or that weird scar!"

Dream was silent for a moment, withdrawing Cross's negative and positive feelings before expelling them.

"Very well, I believe you. But, one more question before we wrap up." Dream said, leaning forward and tapping a finger on the photo of Errō's shoulder. "Do you know, or notice anything about this scar?"