It had been such a gradual process that truthfully, neither she nor he knew how to go back to a completely platonic place.

Still, it seemed as though he was doing better now. He'd kept her updated and had gone so far as to add a throwback photo, to his happy birthday text.

The door burst open.

"Jody, come quickly there's been an accident in the kitchen!" Sid exclaimed.

She smiled before rolling her eyes. These tricks wouldn't work on her, especially since it was practically custom to surprise every DG kid with a cake in the kitchen on their birthday.

Nevertheless, she played along regardless, feigning an Oscar-worthy look of surprise and clutching her chest dramatically as the residents of the DG jumped out from behind the counter and started to sing a nightmarish rendition of Happy Birthday.

Truly, you could hear windows shattering in the background.

After the morning antics, she found herself sitting in the center of the sofa watching a movie with everyone else. 

Eighteen years. She could hardly believe it.

By now, most DG kids her age would've left to pursue independent lives. And yet, as she gazed around at everyone else - her family - she couldn't imagine living without them. 

Her phone buzzed and she scrambled to pick it up.

Happy birthday, sis! - Luke

She smiled briefly but couldn't hide her disappointment any longer. Lola still hadn't wished her. Jody didn't want to be someone who got upset over something so menial as texts, but it was her birthday!

Surely Lola would've remembered...

Jody shook her head slightly; she was overthinking it. Lola probably had some huge surprise planned and wasn't wanting to give anything away. 

Either way, Jody's patience was wearing a little thin. They'd planned to spend the day at her favourite restaurant but amidst all the drama with Tyler, they hadn't booked anything.

And truth be told, she hardly felt like celebrating either. 

Ding, dong!

Perhaps all was not lost, after all. Standing up quickly, she glanced at her reflection in the living room mirror and patted down her hair before exhaling sharply. Jody hardly noticed the exchange of confusion as everyone around her wondered who exactly she was trying to make a good impression for.

She opened the door; her prayers answered. Lola.

But something was wrong.

Stepping forward, she took in Lola's slumped figure, her weary eyes, her trembling shoulders, the unkempt hair...

Words seem to evaporate from her chapped lips; her tongue lay dormant as she tried to explain herself. 

Lola sighed. She shouldn't have come here. She should've gone home, but...

Her thoughts were interrupted by a sudden embrace of warmth. Her arms slid around Jody's waist and she let her head drop into the crook of Jody's neck, letting her eyes wearily close for what felt like the first time in years.