Chapter 16

Watching Camila hunt was a revelation. To say the experience was erotic, was putting it mildly. I was glad Dinah and Demi had left us to our own devices, seeking out meals of their own.

"You're a natural," I informed her, drinking in her lithe form as she pounced on a lynx.

She moved with an effortless refinement, as though she'd spent years perfecting the graceful movements rather than mere hours. Her kill had been relatively neat, too, especially for a first timer. Watching her drain the feline could have easily been hideous. Instead, as soon as she discarded the drained animal, I found myself pulling her close and kissing the remains of blood from her lips.

She growled a soft sound of pleasure as I licked the last of the blood from her lips. Caught up in the moment, she shoved me against a tree. We both gasped when I landed hard enough to leave a dent in the massive maple.

"Oh God, I'm so sorry Lauren," she muttered, her eyes downcast. She was upset with herself for her lack of restraint.

I extracted myself from the fractured tree, forcing a smile for my concerned girlfriend. There was no way I was letting on how much the rapidly healing fissures spiraling along my back stung. She'd never stop with the self-admonishment.

"It's okay. I'm fine babe. You're just a little stronger than me right now."

She worried her lip between her teeth, snaked her fingers along my arm. "Are you sure?"

"They'll heal," I promised as she traced a finger along one of the fractures, watching it disappear beneath her finger.

Dinah appeared from nowhere, her chortle loud in the silence of the forest. All the fauna had bolted at our presence, leaving an eerie silence in its place.

"Oh, you still have clothes on." She was relieved by this observation. "Thank God for  a small miracles. We do not have time for you two to do the dirty. We have shit to settle. Mila's had her hunt. Let's get moving."

I glanced at my girlfriend, entranced by the way she licked her blood-reddened lips. I stifled a groan, wishing Dinah had been born with a sliver of patience.

"She's right," Camila agreed. "Ari and Justin need us."

Demi appeared behind Dinah. "I let Mani know that we found Camila and to push back the backup call. We shouldn't delay any longer."

I knew I was being selfish by wishing for a deferral, but I couldn't seem to squash my self-serving vampire nature entirely. I'd had my girlfriend returned to me against all odds. I wanted to enjoy that experience before jumping back into the danger presented by the Volturi.

I wanted to wrap Camila in cotton wool and hide her far away from Aro's clutches. I knew we had a responsibility to the two children who were still within his power, but that didn't mean we all had to risk facing his wrath.

"About that..." I muttered. "Camz, perhaps it would be best if you stay with Ma–"