Chapter 9

"What am I supposed to do?" I begged Dinah.

Giving up my pacing, I flopped face first onto the couch, loathing my pathetic state. My head hurt, my heart hurt and pretty much everything else hurt too. I wanted to feel normal again… to erase the last three days and pretend my relationship with Camila wasn't damaged, possibly beyond repair.

I didn't care that I had to asking Dinah for relationship advice. If I'd been in a sound state of mind, the thought never would have crossed my mind. As it was, I was desperate.

Dinah shrugged. "Did you apologize? Chicks love it when you come crawling to them begging for mercy. It's a power trip fantasy or some shit. She’ll totally get off on it."

That might have been decent advice if Camila would talk to me. She wouldn't, as Dinah already knew. I'd been complaining about it to her and Demi for the past ten minutes.

My last interaction with Camila had been a strained hour following her storming out on me at Ari's party. She had endured the remainder of the festivities for Justin's sake, but refused to speak to me, no matter how much I pleaded for a moment alone.

Selena's fierce protectiveness of her best friend hadn't helped. When she had spotted Camila's tear-stained cheeks, she had transformed into a stony sentinel. She rebuffed every attempt I made to get Camila alone with quiet force.

Since then, two agonizing days had passed like molasses though an hourglass. I was aware of each second that dripped by, aware that it was another that Camila was off somewhere, distraught because I had fucked up telling her I was a vampire. That knowledge hurt as much as my own bruised feelings.

"She won't talk to me," I muttered into the sofa cushions, repressing the urge to yell. Dinah was trying to help and I needed her assistance too much to risk pissing her off. "I even tried texting her. I'm pretty sure she blocked my number."

"I'm sorry Laur." Dinah gave me a sympathetic look that made me feel even more pitiful. "Andrew did warn you. Look at it from Camila's perspective. You said she thought that you were trying to break it off, right? I mean, that's a pretty shitty way to break up with someone. I wouldn't want to talk to you either."

"I wasn't trying to break up with her," I growled, irritation with the situation getting the best of me.

"We know that," Demi soothed, handing Ari, who she was playing with on the nearby carpet, a toy dinosaur. "She doesn't. She's hurt, understandably. She needs time to cool off."

While that was probably true, I didn't know if I had the patience. It had already been days. How long did it take for anger to subside?

If Camila would let me explain, I could prove that the last thing in the world I wanted was to see her hurt. It would be easy to show her I really was a vampire if only she would give me a chance.

"I was trying to get her to see it herself like Andrew suggested. I was doing fine until Ari had to jump in and ruin everything."

I was trying my hardest not to be upset with someone who was one fiftieth my age, but that was easier said than done.