Chapter 10

There were a million things fighting for space on the tip of my tongue. Somehow, the words that made it to the top of the pile were probably the worst ones I could have said.

"I really am a vampire."

I wanted to hit myself for that slice of genius.

To my surprise, Camila didn't slam the window shut in my face. She crossed her arms and her beautiful features set into a stubborn line. She seemed willing to hear me out, at least, which was a step above anything else I'd achieved this week.

"Prove it. You said you could show me."

I was more than happy to fulfill that request.

I did a back flip out of the tree, landing in an easy crouch in the grass fifteen feet below. I was showing off, but I figured it couldn't hurt. If I had to prove myself, I might as well do it thoroughly.

Camila squeaked, thinking I'd fallen.

I chuckled, calling up to her, "I can't die, Camila. That's what I've been trying to tell you."

In a fluid movement, I leapt back into the tree. Camila's eyes widened as I made the inhuman jump. She glanced at me worriedly. I couldn't help my smile, pleased to have a sign that she still cared about me.

"Your ankles…"

I shrugged. "Are perfectly fine." I yanked up one of my pant legs to show her. "No damage. There won't even be a bruise. It wouldn't matter if I jumped 200 hundred feet."

She bit her lip, a trace of doubt remaining.

I hopped back out of the tree, darting to the other side of the yard to grab a decorative stone that had to weigh nearly a ton. I lifted it up with ease and walked over to the window.

I waved up at Camila, balancing the rock above my head with one hand. She was looking on with the same bewildered expression as before.

"Pretty cool, right?" I called up to her. "If I had two more, I could juggle. Dinah's better than I am, though. She can throw them really high."

"Put that back and come here," Camila hissed, glancing over her shoulder.

"Selena can't hear us, she's watching TV," I explained, but did as Camila requested.

When I reached the window ledge, she tugged on my shirt, dragging me into her room. I followed her inside, hopeful that it was a sign she would forgive me.

"So you believe me?" I inquired, as we sat down on her bed side by side, half a foot of space separating us. I tried – and failed – not to recall the things I'd done with her on that bed. I could only hope we would continue to make memories like those.

She exhaled shakily. "Does that make me crazy?"