Chapter 13

I was prepared for Dinah's heckling, but that didn't make it any less humiliating to endure. Her mind was filled with delighted anticipation while she awaited my arrival. She'd heard me pull up to our house and was biding her time, contemplating the best ways to razz me.

Dinah had been clever enough to lift Ari into her arms, knowing I'd never get into a brawl with her with our tiny ward in the vicinity. She offered me a sly grin when I stepped into our kitchen, intense curiosity roaring from her mind into mine.

"Hello Laur," she greeted with a gleeful grin.

I ignored her, unwilling to engage her ridiculous behavior. If I'd learned anything in over a century of dealing with Dinah, it was that reacting to her banter fueled the fire.

Dinah wasn't deterred. She followed me into the living room. "How'd it go? Is Mila still standing upright? Did you break anything?"

"Camila's fine," I answered in a clipped tone. Even so, I couldn't fight the smile that overtook my face at the mention of the girl I loved.

Dinah was disappointed. "Are you sure you did it right?"

"None of your business, asshole." I growled the last word at an inhuman speed, well aware of Ari's copycat phase. I kissed her forehead in greeting. "Hi Ari."

"Teddy." She handed me a doll. I took it, turning my back on Dinah. Maybe she'd take the hint and drop the subject. If only I believed that was true.

"Aw, come on," Dinah chortled. "Don't be like that. I've been waiting for this sisters moment for decades. Let me have my moment."

"Moment's up. Moving on..."

Dinah scoffed. "Please. I haven't even begun. Now that you've done it, there is much to share. Sit. I—"

I groaned my exasperation. "Do I want to hear this? I don't think so. Also, is this the best time?" I nodded toward the tiny girl who had paused playing with her dolls to glance up at us with curious brown eyes.

"Like she understands enough to know what we're talking about." Dinah rolled her eyes. "All she hears is blabbity blah blah blah."

"Demi said she's at an age where she's rapidly integrating words in her vocabulary. She learns new words every day. We're the ones she's going to learn them from."

Dinah remained unconvinced. "I'll take my chances. All jokes aside... how are you?"

I sighed, resigned that she wasn't going to let the subject go unless I gave her what she wanted. Dinah was notorious for her stubbornness.

"You're asking me? Shouldn't you be talking to Camila?"

"I know Camila's fine. You wouldn't be so... happy if she wasn't. I'm more concerned about you. Sex is a big deal. Especially for a mated vampire."