Chapter 15

It was pitch dark when we touched down on Italian soil. Despite the inky blackness that surrounded the plane from all angles, Normani had no problem navigating the aircraft along the concealed runway.

Under the cover of darkness, we relocated Selena inside. Bringing her to Italy served a dual purpose. Besides being unable to leave her in Seattle, our Italian estate would be a perfect place for her to wake up as a newborn. Situated on several acres of land, it would be ideal for keeping her concealed while providing ample fauna to hunt. Out in the Italian countryside, no one would recognize her even if she were to be spotted.

After getting Selena settled, we spread out to research and fact-check the lengthy list of emails that we had managed to compile on the plane. An accidental typo could have dire consequences if the recipient wasn't the intended vampire. It was crucial that each and every one of the emails was verified before being added to our send list.

With nothing but a laptop and some ingenuity, Dinah was able to hack into email databases and retrieve valuable information.

By the time night fell for a second time, we had compiled a significant list of friends, acquaintances, and even strangers, to receive our message.

We weren't naïve enough to think that all of the vampires on our list would be sympathetic to our cause. Though mate bonds were one of few things held sacred by vampires, those who weren't mated found it difficult to comprehend the intensity behind a mate bond. Without that experience, it was impossible to sympathize with the devastation of being unwillingly separated from a mate.

Ambivalence was only one of many possible concerns. Fear of retribution added another layer of complication.

We were pinning our hopes on our story being fuel to a fire that was already burning. Horrifying tales of the Volturi's misdeeds had been circulating for years. Stories about covens torn apart, their gifted collected like trophies. Fear and quiet anger simmered amongst the vampire community, but no one dared challenge the mighty force the Volturi presented.

No one could confirm a single one of the tales, after all. Afton and Rafael made up a meticulous cleaning crew, able to find and erase anyone who dared to think a malicious thought about the Volturi. If we could get our story heard; we'd be the first. To say our plan was risky was an understatement. Still, it was all we had, and if meant a chance at having Camila back by my side, I was all in.

"136," Demi calculated. We had all gathered in the living area to take a break and consolidate our progress. "Altogether, we've been able to confirm email contact for 136 vampires."

Dinah and Normani exchanged doubtful glances.

"Is that enough?" Dinah questioned. "We're betting a whole fucking lot on the fact that enough of these people will care what the Volturi are doing. What if they don't? What if they all think, 'as long as it's not me?' and move on with their lives?"

"Next time it might be them," Demi pointed out, her tone nonjudgmental. "Those with foresight will understand that not standing up now means danger will always loom on the horizon."