Chapter 11

"How was Demi's date?"

There was a subtle tightness around Camila's eyes that suggested she didn't really want to know the answer to her question. Like all of us, she was trying to be happy for my best friend, but she couldn't help but mourn the loss of Demi might-have-been relationship with Selena.

She was fiercely protective of her best friend and hated that Demi dating someone else might be causing her pain. Selena was a lot tougher than Camila gave her credit for, though. Selena was more than capable of rebounding. It might even be better for her. Dating a vampire wasn't an easy choice.

"I'm not really sure babe," I admitted.

Demi had remained extremely tight-lipped, shrouding even her thoughts on the matter. She had always been very private, so it wasn't all that surprising. When she was ready to talk, Dinah and I would be the first people on her list.

Camila frowned. "Don't you guys tell one another everything?"

I shrugged. "Demi's not the kind to share more than necessary."

"If she didn't mention anything, it must have gone okay," Camila rationalized, her teeth rutted against her bottom lip. "If she never planned on seeing her again, she'd say so, right?"

I shrugged. "She's never dated anyone before, so there's no precedent." I paused, unsure how to delicately word what I wanted to say. "Dinah says Heidi is good for her… and as much as I hate to admit it, she's pretty good at gauging that stuff."

"She thought Selena and Demi were compatible, too," Camila grumbled with an adorable pout.

I kissed away the crease in her forehead, threading her fingers with mine. "If it's meant to be, it'll happen."

"I know," Camila mumbled. "Stupid, pretty, long-legged Heidi ruining everything."

I chuckled at her curmudgeonly attitude. "You're way too invested. Selena is perfectly capable of finding her own dates, you know."

Camila gave a helpless shrug. "I know… it's just… Demi and Selena would be a perfect couple.  Demi is nice. The nicest. Selena deserves that. Hasn't she mentioned Selena at all?"

Aside from thoughts about enjoying her company and being glad to see her, Demi had remained exceptionally neutral when Selena came up. I wasn't surprised. Since she had decided to give a date with Heidi a chance, she wouldn't disrespect her by thinking about another woman.

"Not really. I tend to know everything that's going on with my best friends because–" I halted, realizing I had never explained to Camila that I could read minds. It hadn't been intentional. Telling Camila I was a vampire and all the explanations that came with that revelation had been enough for her to cope with for the last couple days.

She looked at me expectantly. "Because?"

I braced myself for her reaction.